Am I an old fart for preferring DSLR over a phone?

Just wondering if anyone else finds it easier to use a dSLR than a smartphone camera?

I have had good phone cameras in the dreaded Huawei phones, but it may be muscle memory from 45 years use, but I get every shit I take with the camera and miss at least half with the phone.

3 Likes

The phone is good to have for a quick pic. But, if I’m doing something serious, I want my camera.

4 Likes

Phone sensors are great, as are the image processors. However, the optic range and ergonomics of a DSLR simply can’t be beat.

1 Like

For out and about, the cameras you have with you is the best for the job. Therefore a good phone camera is a real boon, as you usually have your phone with you.

But if I’m planning to go out and take photos, I always take my Sony Alpha (system) cameras and lenses with me.

I do a lot of nature photography, which means long lenses. Phones are just lousy at that.

2 Likes

I have that pinned on my brain my photo days started with a Linhof Technica plate camera (I love architecture and landscapes) I had 3 plates and had to be careful. Better to get something than nothing at all. Although as @knewman says, its the ergonomics that make the dslr so quick to use

2 Likes

Best camera is the one you have with you. I always have my phone and don’t always have my Canon so have been taking more and more on the phone.

Still, I prefer the control I have with my Canon as I use the phone most often as a point-and-shoot camera.

4 Likes

doesn’t make you an old fart, just makes you a “happy to use whatever you wanna use” person :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve never owned a DSLR but I got very into photography about 15 years ago and carried a little cannon point and shoot with me everywhere and was always taking a bunch of photos.

Then about 10 years ago I got my first smartphone (an iPhone 5) so I stopped carrying that point and shoot around with me and even though the camera on the iPhone 5 was as good as that point and shoot I just didn’t enjoy taking photos with it so very quickly after getting that phone I mostly stopped taking pictures.

Main reason is just ergonomics. I find using a touch screen to change settings or even just quickly getting to the camera app fiddly and slow so it really kills the enjoyment of taking pictures.

Admittedly I also just grew out of that hobby, but not enjoining using my phone camera and not being able to afford a nice camera until recently I think contributed significantly to losing interest.

1 Like

I rely on my DSLR for the majority of my photos. The quality is so much better even with the improvements to phones over the years. I love my Pixel 7 camera for certain things but it is definitely inferior to a DSLR for some things like zoomed shots. It’s only been recently that I have even taken images with my phone. My Google storage is still below 5 gigs because I don’t use it much. LOL

2 Likes

yes definitely better 200 Samsung Phone MP are not the equivalent or better than 24 dSLR MP

1 Like

I agree with much of what has been said already. I’m not above taking a quick snapshot with my camera phone, but I prefer to use my DSLR for planned photoshoots. Ultimately if you get the picture then you’ve done your job as a photographer!

2 Likes

The best camera is indeed the one you have with you. Anytime I go somewhere new I will take a dSLR, one the weather gets warmer I keep an old one in the car at all times.

I have got less anal about taking a tripod everywhere though.

1 Like

The best camera is the one you have. I have been shooting Nikon since I was a kid. I have gone full Nikon Z mirrorless and I am one who does travel with gear. Mirrorless is 20-30% lighter and makes a huge difference traveling.

What if any, we’re your major issues moving to mirrorless?

Paul Smith-Keitley
Adobe Creative Educator

I switched from a Canon EOS 500D to a Sony A5000 mirrorless. The biggest hurdle was the weight and size of the darned thing!

I originally chose the Canon over a Nikon, because it sat better in my hand and the weight enabled me to hold hit more stablely. Switching to the Sony, which is much lighter and smaller than even the Nikon, was a huge struggle at first. I’ve gotten used to it over time and find the compact size makes it a bit more portable, but I still find that holding it for a long shot or a slow shutter speed requires more effort than the Canon, “it” wants to wave around much more.

1 Like

You talked me out of it, so many times I need that solidity, I will stick and maybe just got more cards and batteries

1 Like

The ergonomics of my Leica Q2 are, indeed, far better than my iPhone. And so are the pictures, for a certain class of pictures.

The Sony A7RIV is a lot more complicated, so it’s definitely not easier to use. But the images are higher quality and the range of lenses gives it a lot of flexibility, at the cost of carrying a lot of gear.

I think for traveling I’ll lean on the phone just because it’s light and easy and I’m carrying it anyway. I’m not selling my cameras any time soon, though!

4 Likes

First off, the Nikon menu system is the same. So if you’re use to one system, stick with it and virtually no learning curve on that.

For the first few months, with the of the Nikkor Z 24-120 f4 - I was still using the F series glass. So there was some imbalance there because the Z7ii and Z6ii are so much lighter then my D5,4,3s cameras.

Getting use to seeing a monitor in the viewfinder might take some getting use to, but for me it was a few hours of shooting.

Lastly, adjusting your style of shooting takes time. The fact these are so packed with features, and that you can view everything in viewfinder and make adjustments. Menus, shots, settings and Nikon has introduced a quick menu. This all takes getting use to.

I started shooting with film and color printing at the age of 17.

The video capabilities are amazing.

Most of all, almost all of Nikon flashes and accessories are backwards compatible.

1 Like

I am on the Canon system and unfortunately have rather large hands so going smaller would be an issue, I cannot fo the life of me get used to using a phone for places I’ve never been before

1 Like

The advantages/pro’s for Mirrorless far out-weigh the advantages of a DSLR.
Here’s a few:

• the future
  • weight
  • backward compatibility (Nikon and others)
  • video focusing actually works

I mainly shoot events, banquets, weddings, etc. So shooting on 2 cards at the same time is a must for me.