YouTube advertising gone bezerk?

No, I’m getting multiple ads for several minutes each (unskipped) and this clean water charity which runs for 20 minutes comes up Annie a dozen times a day.

Yeah YouTube is overdoing it and Plex is pretty annoying as well. I had to deploy piehole recently and it does help. You do not avoid all ads but at least it gets the ones during the video not at the beginning.

Btw when watching YouTube the dns requests blocked by piehole are more then 30%

1 Like

Interestingly, I watched a couple of videos this morning and it seems to have settled back down, 2 adverts in a 20 minute video. That is fine by me.

3 Likes

I have had 3 or 4 min music videos stopped in the middle by an ad. That is annoying.

2 Likes

YouTube has also started to place ads into videos from accounts that do not have enough viewership to enable monetization in their videos. The result is that YouTube gets all the ad revenue from those types of insertions. They do not have to give the content creator any of it.

1 Like

I watched a video by a well known nerd, and he was talking about the opportunity to decide whether he wanted “mid roll” video ads or not. (I presume without them, there are pre-roll and post-roll and the overlay ads, but not interrupting video ads.) He said by making that choice he would earn less revenue. So, I presume some creators are willing to put up with the interruptions if it means they get more CPM from their videos.

Link please (without a link it’s a claim with no evidence)

Apparently you think I’m in the news reporting business, rather than in the tech discussion business. The point of my post is to discuss the fact that there are people out there who claim they’ve decided to make less money from YouTube because they’ve chose to disable some of the monetization. The only way to fact check such a thing would be to be a YouTuber and look in your account settings. I am not a YouTuber, and so I have nothing more than hearsay to report.

1 Like

Well aren’t you just a sweetheart. I am neither lazy nor lying. Perhaps I don’t wish to publicly acknowledge every feed I watch… I am still free to discuss the content of it. Perhaps if you brought up a google search for “YouTube midroll ads” you could find something useful on your own, such as the following:

This article mentions that YouTube is allowing shorter videos to now have midroll ads, and mentions what I discussed before, that disabling them is also an option.

3 Likes

Best $10 (or so) you can spend if you watch YouTube a lot is the premium service. I haven’t seen an ad in years. I forget they’re there until I read a thread like this.

1 Like