Windows 10 Email applications

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would add my findings on my needs.

Story: Since my wife works from home 3 days a week now, she uses the Mac. So if I need to send larger emails my clients I need to use my Windows 10 machine. Even though I use a gmail , I HATE using the web interface. Plus, I realized my contacts were syncing in iCloud. I know there are ways to pull that all together, but I wanted to get off the Google teet as well so I finally moved to a custom domain email through Hover. At the moment I’m using Thunderbird on Windows with rules set to pull most of the crap I don’t need to see into local folders. It’s running 24/7, sort of acting as a server.

Wants:

• Sync contacts through CardDAV
  • Mail Rules w/Local folders
  • Modern UI
  • No Subscription payments

Contenders:

Thunderbird

• Has all the features I want
  • UI is ugly (don’t know if it’s the fonts/size, column size, threading, but I can’t get it to look right)

Windows Mail

• No cardDAV sync
  • Doubtful on local folders/mail rules

Postbox

• No cardDAV sync

Mailspring

• No Local Folders
  • Supposed to sync cardDAV, no sign of it though

em Client

• Great UI
  • Good Features
  • Privacy questionable
  • Business model questionable (extra per device, free version for personal use only)

Spark

• My preferred client on Mac/iOS
  • No Windows version yet (coming they say!)
  • Not sure what features they’ll have, probably no local folders

I imagine until features progress on other clients, I’ll probably stick with Thunderbird, at least in the background.

I stick with Thunderbird. I haven’t really found a good email client nowadays since just about everyone uses webmail. I agree, the Thunderbird GUI is a bit clunky, but its powerful.

1 Like

I use Thunderbird too for mail and archiving. When I used Windows I used MailStore for archiving and it was great and fast with full indexing for searches. Free for home use. https://www.mailstore.com/en/products/

1 Like

I prefer outlook for my Windows PC but I have an older mac that won’t run outlook so I use the web interface for Gusite or the default Mail app.

1 Like

Another one for Outlook, over here. However, I also feel like Mail and Calendar for Windows 10 are fine.

Maybe an interesting thought: I have found that many email clients do email reasonably well, but only very few integrate email well with calendaring and contacts. My simple requirement is, e.g., to single-click-respond to an email with an invitation. I found this nowhere as simple as in Outlook.

Turns out that mere communication for me rather runs through messaging or conferencing apps, but email often leads to an appointment to take things further. So that’s useful for me - maybe for you, too?

2 Likes

I’m using the Windows Mail client for my personal stuff. For work I’ve got the Office 365 web Outlook installed as an app through Credge. I used to use the classic Outlook fat client but I realized I don’t even use a quarter of the features it has. The web version does nearly everything I need.

1 Like

The latest Outlook on Microsoft 365 is pretty good. Shame it still does not support CalDav/CardDav when the Windows 10 Mail and Calendar does, and Outlook for Mac does too.

2 Likes

Yeah, these little inconsistencies and incompleteness-es with Microsoft applications nag me, too. I moved to the new Edge on my Surface Go just to give that one of the seemingly coolest features (marking a page with a pen) was discontinued in Chredge.