WiFi Antenna Rotor Control

I have an RCA VH126N programmable antenna rotor control located in the basement mancave. Occasionally it would be really handy to move the antenna direction while watching TV upstairs. Any DIY designs or suggestions from the follows of Ham Nation?

Checked out the Antenna Control model, and it appears it has an IR remote control. There are wireless (RF) IR remote control repeaters available that should work. A search for IR remote control repeaters should provide some possibilities. I did find several in searches here in Australia.

I believe there are also wifi based IR remote systems available, run from a smartphone app, but those might be based on a database of commands for AV devices.

1 Like

I ordered the Sewell Direct BlastIR Wireless Pro IR Repeater, Remote Control Extender Kit (IR Emitter and Receiver). According to their documentation, they are designed to work up to 200 meters. Thank you @Bgeeoz for the suggestion.

Hey, let me know how it works.

Received the Sewell Direct BlastIR Wireless Pro IR Repeater, Remote Control Extender Kit (IR Emitter and Receiver) and it worked right out of the box. Now onto the next phase, needing some way of knowing what direction the antenna is pointing. The VH126N has programmable set points but of course I would rather have the freedom of pointing to any direction when the notion strikes. Suppose I could setup a webcam to view the rotor control. Found a guy on YouTube who built an interesting setup but that also seems extreme however cool. https://youtu.be/OL32_ex3kCU

Modified an existing NESPi Case to provide camera cable access. Case also provides handy mounting surface for homemade Pi camera bracket and turned out to be ideal height to view antenna rotor control.

Configured Pi model 3B+ with motionEyeOS. Open a browser to the Pi IP address which provides camera view.

Sewell Direct BlastIR Wireless Pro IR Repeater, Remote Control Extender Kit (IR Emitter and Receiver) provides link from upstairs to downstairs location where antenna rotor is.

1 Like