Why won't my MacBook Air boot from an EFI USB stick?

I fancy playing with ChromeOS Flex on an old MBA i7 (MBA 6,1). It’s listed as a tested/supported device by Google.

Created the ChromeOS recovery USB. Put it into the MBA, booted with ALT key pressed, selected ‘EFI Boot’ to boot from - and all I get is a black screen.

Any ideas? I’ve checked the USB, it’s readable, has EFI/BOOT directories and files on it.

Did you go into recovery mode first and enable booting from external media?

Allowing an Intel Mac to Use External Boot Media

For an Intel Mac, do the following:

• Reboot the Mac, then immediately hold Command + R keys to load into Recovery Mode
  • Pull down the Utilities menu, then choose “Startup Security Utility”
  • Under the External Boot section, check the box for “Allow booting from external media” to prevent boot restrictions
  • Reboot the Mac again, holding OPTION to boot from a boot disk should work now

Only Macs with a T2 chip need to do this. The T2 chip is typically included with an Intel Mac that has a Touch Bar or Touch ID.

Using the OPTION key to load the boot menu and choose an external disk should work fine after this.

(Advice from OS X Daily:)

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll have a read. Mine doesn’t have the T2. I looked in recovery options, the only setting I could find was adding a password to boot from another disk, which isn’t set.

1 Like