Which Shows do you Watch Video vs. Audio?

All shows in video :+1::+1::+1:

Video and I watch them late at night in bed on my TV.

I only watch the shows which sadly means I’m missing out on @mikahsargent’s new show. I am subscribed in hopes he get can those 30k subscribers that Lisa is so adamant about before releasing the video versions.

I’m of two minds on the video thing. On one hand, when I only have time to listen, I’d prefer it to be audio only so I don’t feel like I’m missing out. Also I understand how much more expensive and time consuming it is to produce.

On the other hand, video is one of the things that sets TWiT apart. It’s part of the TechTV legacy, and shows like iOS today, AAA, and now HOP, are so much better for it. That’s why I thought this was a good discussion for Feedback. It’s been great hearing everyone’s experience and preferences. :blush:

2 Likes

Video all day. TWiT (All), CNET (All), NPR, TED, Consumer Reports, and some others.

I have subscribed to the all video and the all audio podcast RSS feeds, but since I have over 1000 podcast subscriptions (something I have been collecting since the Adam Curry and TWiT earliest days) I never have time to listen to any of the audio-only. Plus as it stands right now, I have 344 unplayed video podcasts (currently watching TWiT 738 from 9/29). Thanks to the work I do, I’m able to watch all my video podcasts (on my Note9 on DeX on my second monitor). When (if) my video podcast list ever hits zero, I’ll then start listening to all the audio podcasts. Until then, I am video only.
Please TWiT, keep the videos coming! Mica, I’m sorry to say that I won’t be able to get to your podcast until these hit zero. And with the DeX at home, I just watch all the podcasts on my TV.

2 Likes

I almost never watch the video, because I listen to the shows during my commute.

1 Like

I try to catch the live stream (on Youtube) of all my favorites, especially Giz Fiz :relaxed:, but because of my work schedule, sometimes I have to watch the post videos after they’re uploaded to Youtube. I love watching live because some pretty funny times are had in pre-show.

2 Likes

100% audio. I listen to the podcasts while walking the dog, driving to work, at the gym etc.

If I catch it live, video. Otherwise, audio. I really appreciate that the prerecorded video is there, but I’m more likely to get around to it if it’s something I can put on during a long walk or bus ride or something. If anything, I use the YouTube copies for situations like, “What was that thing from three weeks ago again?”

As for specific shows, Security Now is an easy one to go audio-only because I can download the show notes onto my phone and get stuff like the picture of the week. I would agree that All About Android is a must-watch, because it’s a very visual show, and yet I still go with the audio feed most weeks. Nothing beats having it in my ears when I need to kill time.

2 Likes

They could save money by eliminating LIVE streaming. Keep the recorded video and audio streams.

I only watch All About Android. I Chromecast it up to the TV. I greatly miss The New Screen Savers. I also miss Know How as well.

1 Like

Please no! When my time zone permits I really enjoy watching the live stream because you get to see far more of the craft of show making. Tech glitches, bloopers, show announcements and extras all highlight the skills of presenters and guests in producing a sound feed that’s easy to edit into the final show. If a show is running live that I’m intending to listen to later on a podcast, I may just listen to the live pre-show and post-show segments for that reason, then catch up with the edited show later.

Sometimes I’ll have the live stream up on an iPad with the sound muted while I listen to a different podcast on my phone; then if the live feed looks like it’s going “off-script” I will pause the phone and unmute the live feed - which is how I heard @mikahsargent and @JasonHowell getting tripped up by tongue-tangling announcements yesterday. :joy:

2 Likes

Wow! Do you watch at 2-3x speed?

No. 1x, but skipping silence.

1 Like

Silence skipping is the best! Also makes everyone sound hyper cogent and on-point. Like unnaturally so. If I ever did a podcast, I’d filter all my audio with it before releasing :joy:

What podcast app do you use that lets you do this? (skipping silence) I’m happily using Instacast, but it does not have this feature.

I listen to the live stream audio everyday on my way home from work. I also subscribe to many of the podcasts and they are all HD video. Tend to watch those on the plane or when I want to review something from the live audio.

2 Likes

I watch TWIT HamNation on YouTube. Sometimes I am busy and just listening. Then I stop with an interesting part to watch. I might listen to audio only if I had a player that I could use for some of this content. I am retired due to medical conditions so video isn’t bad. I watch a lot of YouTube. I tel the fam that I go to YouTube University Ha!

2 Likes

I watch most of the shows on YouTube. The few shows I don’t get the opportunity to watch I will then catch the podcast.

1 Like

I actually found a photo I took at my desk at Monster .com a year before I started at TWiT. You can see the live stream (showing a TWiT Photo episode) in the center screen as well as chat.

6 Likes