Where do my messages go?

I recently got a Pixel 3XL after switching from an iPhone 6. I had to disable iMessage on the old phone in the process. I can great Group Chats where recipients are a mix of Android and IOS and it seems to work as long as they are sent to phone numbers since it is done by SMS. My question is if I send a message to a group chat where an IOS user is using an iPad with their email as an Apple ID, where does that message go. I did a test where I created a group chat where one IOS user had an iPad and the other an iPhone. The iPhone user received the message but the iPad user did not. However, when the iPhone user replied, only the iPad user received the reply. I did not. I suspect because of the IOS-to-IOS connection. But somehow mine gets lost. Where do those messages end up. There is no bounce back.

1 Like

iPad user would never have received the message unless it is an iPad with LTE and has its own phone number. I would say the iPhone user, when replying was using the details in their contact list which resolved to email address of iPad user and is trying to send to alternative contact details for you. Get everyone to create a new contact with just your phone number and it’ll probably work.

2 Likes

I get that. The question was where to the messages end up?

1 Like

They’ll get stored for a while on some intermediate server and get dropped after a while.

1 Like