What's your internet speed and cost? Care to share your speed and cost?

You’re right Rah. Data only will finally come with FTTP I hope but I don’t use my landline anyway. I have Fibre connection (FFTC) but there hasn’t been a phone plugged in for years!

Our ‘local landline’ number is actually on a virtual services network and sends voicemail to us by email. We don’t use the phone much and if anyone really needs my wife or I then we have a mobile each!

3 Likes

I am luck enough to live in a building served by UrbanFiber
https://urbanfibre.ca/

I get symmetrical 1gbps for $80 CAD. This is significantly faster than i was able to get with Telus or Shaw (the big ISPs in my area)

2 Likes

This is via WiFi on my Chromebook and slighty more than I pay for.
Monthly cost is £37 or $48 which includes landline and TV.

3 Likes

200 down / 10 up $74 USD (no discount or bundle) - Charter Spectrum

Sadly AT&T is the only other option, and they offer 50 down for $50 (1 year deal). Door to door reps once told me they did upgrade around the neighborhood, except for our small area. I check once a quarter to see if their speeds will ever increase, but for now Spectrum is worth it. I just wish they had better upload speeds.

1 Like

Cox Gigablast here (1 GB down / 50 MB up) for $100
I had to add $50 on top of that for an unlimited monthly data cap. Without it you max out at 1 TB per month, and then they start charging you per GB which really adds up (2 people working from home + streaming).

I wish they could get the symmetrical Gigabit issues worked out. I believe they’ve capped the upload speed at 50 MB due to a technical problem (something to do with the number of channels they’ll support in the cable modems).

I can pretty much get 1000/50 if I plug right in to the cable modem, but after I connect it to my home network, the highest I’ve seen is about 850/45.

3 Likes

Comcast : Rural Virginia. 3.5 mbps down - 2 or so mbps up. At $ 44.oo a month. Sux, doesn’t it. DSL around here is higher price for the same speed.

4 Likes

I got AT&T 1Gbps fiber last year. Its Amaze-balls.

2 Likes

I’m in the outback - cell phones don’t work here. Land line phones are about 50% on due to snow plows and road graders. Hughs net not very good here either, no signal in heavy rain/snow.

Have wireless internet from local company - 5 megs up and down, no limit, almost $50 per month. Very little down time. I use google voice for a home phone

I’m happy supporting my local folks Wilderness Wireless.

3 Likes

40Mb down 10Mb up. Unlimited data. Including phone line rental. £29 (about $37).

3 Likes

I see that there are many people paying really high prices for low bandwidth. Who’s interested in the potential for satellite internet using something like Amazon or Elon Musk’s network, the latter of which should start to be rolled out later this year or next?

3 Likes

Latency of satellite would be an issue for my online gaming. Also if the newer satellite technology/systems suffer the same as old systems from weather conditions such as rain that would be a issue for me being in the UK :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :grinning:

4 Likes

I expect it’s still going to unreliable and bursty like WiFi is, and potentially latent as it has to route packets between a hive of satellites and then back to the ground… and so I expect it will suck for online gaming.

5 Likes

Shaw Cable (and internet) in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. Up to 300Mbps down. (I have never seen it that high) $85 per month ($63US).speedtest_speedcheck|690x314

2 Likes

I’m in London and I’m literally sat here waiting for a BT engineer to come and upgrade my service. Right now I think I’m supposed to be 60/16 for £59, but will be upgraded to 120/24 for £54.

I just did a speed test though Google and got 8/2, then through Speedtest.net and got 50/7.

3 Likes

Jealous here I am in northern Ontario,Elliot Lake best I can do is 113Mbs down and 13 Mbs up add them together and that’s about what I am paying for the internet

2 Likes

Who do you have that with Dan? With Xfinity cable in West Palm, I’m getting a tenth of that for $60

2 Likes

More competition is always good for the consumer.

2 Likes

I pay WaveBroadband for $80 for 1Gig (unlimited data). Seattle, WA (pioneer square)

Interestingly, I live in a condo where I actually have internet options:

WaveG (fiber - only up to 100 mbps)
WaveBroadband (cable)
Comcast
CenturyLink (not sure what they offer but they offer)

I could get the same speed, probably for less, from Comcast but I stay with Wave because of their customer service.

38 connected devices - this is what this chromebook is seeing via wifi right now.

Screenshot 2020-02-07 at 2.12.58 PM

2 Likes

I’m on Australia’s pre-National Broadband Network (NBN) system, connected to Internode using ADSL2+. The plan costs AU$59.95 (US$40) per month, has a 500Gb monthly data allowance, and runs at whatever speed the ADSL line works at, which varies between 10Mbit/sec and about 16Mbit/sec. Although Speedtest and the like always come in at line speed, connectivity is patchy - for example, common destinations like YouTube, Netflix etc. are prioritised, but other things, like some VPS providers, less usual destinations (parts of Asia, etc.) appear to be intentionally slowed down or very poorly serviced, and speeds from or to those destinations are very low (500Kbit-1Mbit/sec). The NBN is scheduled to arrive in my area this year, at which point I will switch onto cable (DOCSIS3-based) internet and a different provider.

2 Likes

MsHappyBytes, it’s with Frontier.

2 Likes