Twitter and Facebook Flagging Accounts!

A voice should be earned. Not given away.
— Bortus, The Orville

Whenever this discussion comes up, I’m reminded of my favorite episode of The Orville, Majority Rule (s01e07).

The title refers to the planet’s government by absolute unstructured democracy. The episode examines “mob mentality,” the court of public opinion, and the role of social media. [fan wiki]

1 Like

I have tried talking about this several times - the unfairness of big tech towards 1 side and not the other side. My posts either get deleted or locked. And, you will find no one here really cares or believes that there is only a 1 sided view of big tech. I have tried to post examples showing it, and no one cares. They just don’t see it here. I’ve given up…

I also find it interesting that talking about the bias of Big Tech on a tech forum gets your thread locked here usually.

As for “fact checking” done by twitter and facebook - it is laughable to call that “fact checking.” I have previously pointed out who the guy deciding this at Twitter is, and he is anything but unbiased. He is a biased hack who has made public comments about the other side that are downright deplorable. He is as far as an unbiased decider as anyone could be… And the first “fact check” of Trump on Trump was wrong, and has been proven wrong. But, I’ve been down that road here as well, and no one cared about that here either…

It is plainly obvious the bias. The ones that don’t want to see it will never see it.

And, you will find no one here really care or believes that there is only a 1 sided view of big tech.

Most folks are here to talk about tech, not politics, which is why these threads stall. There is interest in how these companies deal with this situation, how they define policy and implement, but we get enough of talking politics elsewhere :slightly_smiling_face:

IMO

1 Like

That is not fair to say because politics come up in the TWIT podcasts all the time, and there have been tons of posts and threads about politics here on this forum. So, that is a bit of a cop out.

Talk about the politically correct view here, and you can do so all day long…

The truth is that only 1 view of politics is tolerated here on this forum. Many people have left because of it too. I have gotten quite a few instant messages from people on the matter, claiming they have had enough. They agree with me and it is so, so obvious the bias here.

And yet you’re still here whining about it. OMG give it a rest.

2 Likes

I get what a lot of you are saying but, in my opinion, does not make it right. A lot of people go to Facebook and Twitter for news because CNN, FOX, etc… are biased and are a lot of times wrong in their reporting. I quit watching mainstream media because they no longer worry about fact but how fast they can get the story out. It’s about views more than truth.

I hope Candace Owens wins her lawsuit and more people go the same route. I don’t see anything good out of companies controlling what people can say or read. Whether they are a private company or not.

We have doctors and nurses (who 100% have more experience at treating COVID then probably anyone at Google) making a video telling what they see working, what medicines seem to be working, etc…and YouTube takes it down saying it is dangerous. How? What they are saying might help people. It might save lives and your taking it down.

What if Twitter decided that they where against Black Lives Matter and started censoring any post about it. Or putting a disclaimer saying “Actually All Lives Matter.” From what some of y’all are saying it would be perfectly fine because they are privately owned and there is no law to stop them from doing it.

My is opinion is this: if a company wants to fact check that is fine as long as it is facts you are checking. You should not be able to censor a post because of your opinion as a fact checker. If I post that the world is round, you should not be able to censor my post because you think the earth is flat. It needs to be on fact not opinions and that is the issue. People’s opinions or beliefs are being censored because they differ from the company doing the checking.

What if YouTube started deleting a bunch of iOS Today videos or MacBreak Weekly videos because it is videos about Apple. Would that be right? I don’t think so.

Also, my whole intent is not about politics. It’s about censoring.

1 Like

Honestly I’m not really sure what you are on about.
Also you’ve never given any evidence for claims.
Just saying…

1 Like

Here, I agree with you 100%.

Thanks. That is my whole point. They are fact checking with opinions.

1 Like

It’s an opinion piece, also behind a paywall.

For example there’s a number of statements above that seem to be your perception of things without any evidence.
E.g., “I have literally watched someone say Biden is going to win a state and be perfectly fine.”
Where? When?

And I have commented to you previously that the Media Bias site you are using is in itself very biased. Start looking into who is running these sites. They are far from unbiased themselves.

1 Like

And as I’ve replied before- Can you offer any citations to back your claim?

Very hard to make a judgement on sites like Media Bias. In theory, their staff are rating the media in various categories, so could have bias themselves. Another aspect is news outlets who get a low rating then retaliate by running stories saying they are fake. I find it useful though.

I have in the past. We’ve been around that circle before.

I know we’re just going down the circle again, but I have clearly pointed out many facts on past threads. Then things get locked or deleted. If ya missed it the first time, I’m sorry. But, I’m not a glutton for punishment. Why should I endlessly post things and then have it be taken down.

At this point, all I can say is: That’s not true."

I’m tried of wasting my time and having my content removed… Because of the inequity here for another point of view. Interesting that bias in big tech is off limits on a tech forum when you have a certain point of view. What does it hurt to have a message with someone thinking differently?

I didn’t start this thread, I am just participating in it. And, I am not the one being nasty - YOU are.

You just make my point very clearly. As long as this site leans one way, I will point it out if I choose too.

That is exactly correct👍🏻

Yes, but as stated on past threads - they receive special protections from lawsuits in federal law. There is a debate as to whether they deserve that protection, as they are not the impartial services they claim to be.

Otherwise, you’d be 1000% correct.