TWIT 927: The Cheese Tax

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I’m only about 21 minutes into it and I’m having a hard time listening to Phil Libin. He’s critical for the sake of being funny. If it was funny then okay, but he’s not. I wish he would stick to just answering the question. He obviously like the sound of his own voice, I personally don’t care for it. I often found that those that have to fluff up their response, don’t really know what they’re talking about and are just stalling for time.

Fine the media hyped it up, we get it. But the fear the media industry is having is legitimate concern about the future of their profession. The media is watching very near history repeating itself. Print is dead and it’s looking more an more that the authors are next to go. So if Phil is stating that he’s smarter than Gary kaspendorf, that he doesn’t understand Chess and there is nothing to worry about with Ai. I would like to know what Phil would say say, when you, Leo Laporte, replace guest like Phil with Chat GPT for insight, analysis, and a more interesting conversation.

As for Amy Webb she’s brilliant, keep inviting her to the show. She the most knowledge person in the room.

Ai is just going to change the economy, just like the internet, we’re all just gonna have to figure out how it pans out.

My last an final comment, I saw how the average person used to be able to earn a living wage for their family with one job and a highschool diploma. It then it became you needed a degree to earn a living wage and after the internet, people need two part time jobs to break even. Will Ai make us so efficient that we will all need to take up 20 PT jobs or are we becoming our own personal cities. Where the individual becomes the teacher, the lawyer, manager, doctor, etc.

1 Like

@Leo , the cookie banner has been insufficient for websites in the EU for about 5 years.

They have to offer all cookies or no cookies with the same number of clicks, or the option to select which cookies are allowed to be put on your device.

Generally, “reject all” allows the site to set a single cookie to register your choice, so it doesn’t have to ask every time you visit.

I generally allow the site to store its first party cookies for enabling navigation, but not metrics, and I reject all 3rd party cookies.

1 Like

What an incredible waste of time. I’m glad it makes you feel better but don’t think you’re somehow protecting your privacy.

There is a setting in your browser to do this for you. I’ve been doing it since forever, with very little noticed pain.

1 Like

Amy Webb is the best. I feel like I consistently praise her every time she’s on, but that’s because she is simply not only an expert, but one of the most articulate panelists that has ever graced TWIT.

And, frankly, leave in the profanity for those of us on Club TWIT. I would gladly pay for the joy of hearing Amy Webb drop some sass in my tech discussion.

2 Likes

Regarding AM radio, I don’t think I’ve listened to it since the 1970s. Once FM became established and all the stations moved to FM for the better quality, I haven’t listened to any other band - apart from Long Wave, when out sailing coastal waters, because you could pick it up across the channel for the long BBC’s maritime weather forecast every day.

AM died a death in the late 70s and early 80s in the UK. People mainly moved around within the catchment of their FM station or moving from one transmitter to the next was easy with electronic radios, which searched for the strongest FM signals. The quality was much better and the stations more stable, with less crackle and whistle.

Here in Germany, it is the same thing. When I moved here, there were dozens of good FM stations, so I never even thought about AM - I still have no idea whether there are any AM stations. Although now everything seems to be moving over to DAB, for those that still listen to the radio - for the last 15 years, I’ve pretty much just listened to audio books or podcasts on my phone, played through the in-car enternainment system, either via headphone cable or Bluetooth.

I just want to say if the US music industry is so dominant, how come one of your most popular shows (stranger things) used a 40 year old song by a British artist (Kate Bush) and it topped the charts globally??? Sorry @Leo them was fighting words!!!

LEO, If the Apple VR glasses look anything like the NReal glasses then these will look a lot like Amy Web’s Glasses.

Leo,
I just finished this weeks show and have the following comments.

1. My family dog loved cheese and we always referred to the paying the cheese tax. I had no idea there was a song. Loved it.
  2. There’s two sides to every opinion- I’ll politely disagree with Floridaman- I loved Phil and Amy. I thought they were both great, and provided a lot to consider.
  3. There was discussion this week in the news on Chinas efforts in AI. Most of the recent TWIT panel discussion have focused on AI use in the commercial sector in the US. There have been concerns raised that China is focused on using AI in surveillance tech to include facial recognition. The CCP has been looking to sell to other extremist governments. I’m curious how the west might contain or counter malicious uses of AI tech.
2 Likes

The other thing is, AI in the US has moved from research to commercial organisations in the last 10 years.

A recent study by a US university (Stanford, I think), I posted this elsewhere last week as well, a lot of the research on AI is now taking place in China. Of the top 10 institutes releasing research papers over the last decade, 9 are in China. There was one US Uni, which swapped 9th place a couple of times, but has been bottom of the pile for research for the last decade, and that was MIT.

1 Like

I’m increasingly of the opinion that “AI” is really just a fancy Eliza, and pretty much worthless. The only hazard is when we treat it like some super-genius and put it in charge of real world applications, like medicine or nuclear warheads.

2 Likes

But having said that ChatGPT is still smarter than Tim Cook betting the farm on $3000 VR ski goggles as we go into a recession :grin:

I asked ChatGPT 4 “Is Apple making a mistake by releasing a new VR headset?”

Its reply:

As an AI, I don’t form personal opinions, but I can analyze the question based on the factors that usually contribute to the success or failure of a new tech product. Whether Apple is making a mistake by releasing a new VR headset would depend on several things:

1. Market Research: Has Apple identified a demand for this type of product among its customer base? Is there a gap in the market that this product could fill?
  2. Innovation: Is Apple’s VR headset introducing unique features or capabilities not available in current VR headsets? Apple has a track record of entering established markets with a new approach or technology that sets their products apart.
  3. Quality: Is the headset up to the high standards of performance and design that consumers expect from Apple?
  4. Ecosystem Integration: Apple’s success is partly due to the seamless integration of its devices and services. If the new VR headset is well-integrated into Apple’s ecosystem, it could be a selling point.
  5. Pricing: Is the headset priced competitively for its target market? Apple products typically come with a premium price tag, but consumers have shown a willingness to pay for what they perceive as higher quality, better design, or unique features.
  6. Timing: Is the market ready for this product? Too early, and consumers might not understand or see the need for it. Too late, and they might have already committed to a competitor’s product.
  7. Marketing and Education: Can Apple effectively communicate the value of this product to consumers, especially those who might be new to VR?

Without specific details about Apple’s new VR headset and the current state of the VR market, it’s hard to say definitively if they’re making a mistake or not. However, considering Apple’s successful history in introducing new devices like the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch, they’ve demonstrated an ability to make strategic decisions about new product introductions.

Wow. Analysts better watch out.

2 Likes

Bard says - to the same question

Is apple making a mistake launching a new VR headset?

It is too early to say whether Apple is making a mistake by launching a new VR headset. The VR market is still in its early stages of development, and it is unclear whether there is a large enough market for Apple to make a profit. However, Apple has a history of success in disrupting new markets, and it is possible that the company could do the same with VR.

Here are some of the potential risks and benefits of Apple launching a new VR headset:

Risks

• The VR market is still in its early stages of development, and it is unclear whether there is a large enough market for Apple to make a profit.
  • VR headsets can be expensive, and it is possible that Apple’s headset will be too expensive for most consumers.
  • VR headsets can be uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time, and it is possible that Apple’s headset will not be any different.
  • VR headsets can be disorienting and cause motion sickness, and it is possible that Apple’s headset will not be any different.

Benefits

• Apple has a history of success in disrupting new markets, and it is possible that the company could do the same with VR.
  • Apple has a large and loyal customer base, and it is possible that many of these customers will be interested in buying a VR headset from Apple.
  • Apple has a reputation for quality, and it is possible that Apple’s VR headset will be the best on the market.
  • Apple has a strong marketing team, and it is possible that the company will be able to generate a lot of excitement for its VR headset.

Overall, it is too early to say whether Apple is making a mistake by launching a new VR headset. The company has a lot of potential advantages, but there are also some risks that it will need to overcome. Only time will tell whether Apple will be successful in the VR market.

10 points for coming up with the standard cliche out tag for every local news reporter ever: “Only time will tell.”

Yeah, we’ll see. Great insight.

2 Likes

As a human observer who’s first hands on experience of VR happened to be on the first date with my wife (30 years ago) I put VR in the same box as the Linux desktop.

Ie it’s really cool, will change the world and it’s coming next year.

There are many things it can do, but few people want to do each of the many things and each experience has to be created by a developer team. Apple may have sunk billions I to developing it, but right now I belive they would have more success if they launched a vehicle.

I know it’s Apple, and I know their fans are rabid consumers but Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs!

As someone who uses the Linux desktop every day, including during TWiT, including right now I completely disagree with that analogy.

The Linux desktop is functionally the same as any computer experience.

VR is totally unlike any other human experience and literally nauseates 11% of the population, including me.

2 Likes

I always wondered who the Linux was :grin: I have Linux systems, have done since 1995 when I ran the Creative Labs Europe email server and I know there are apps to do everything, but it is just too hard to be my daily driver. It may be better or more secure, but I’m lazy just like those who use Google - too much investment to change