TWIT 882: Many Mini Metaverses

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

IMO the analogy for Co-Pilot is Clippy. Even Office documents that are boilerplate are considered proprietary.

Imagine a landlord starts writing a lease in Word. “A lease agreement between JKL Properties of Tacoma Inc. (a Washington corporation) and Beth Smith, governing the property at 119 West Apple Street, Unit C, Tacoma, Washington”

If Word popped up at this poitn with Clippy and started suggesting clauses for this lease, would that be a problem? I’m sure the attorneys who wrote the leases which went into the corpus, without expressed permission, would not appreciate it.

The difference between the leases and the code that gets into the corpus is that the code is released under a permissive license, which generally permits derivative works under certain conditions, usually including attribution. Not doing so makes it a violation of copyright.

1 Like

It was mentioned about locking down an iPhone, here’s info on the same feature for Android. (Android calls the feature “Lockdown Mode” if you want to search on it.)

1 Like

Thank you @PHolder - I shouldn’t have left that out!

With regards to TikTok and the Chinese government having access to the data upon request, where is the difference to that and Facebook, Google and Co. collecting way more information than is needed in the first place, combined with FISA Courts, National Security Letters, the Patriot Act, heck the CLOUD Act is even worse, given the US theoretical access to data in places where they actually have no jurisdition and cannot hand over the data without a locally signed warrant.

For a non-American, it is the choice between the Plague and Cholera…

3 Likes

It was mentioned about locking down an iPhone, here’s info on the same feature for Android. (Android calls the feature “Lockdown Mode” if you want to search on it.)

There doesn’t seem to be a way to lock your Android down without taking it out and looking at the screen though? Would be nice if they could add that.

Yeah, I had thought when they originally brought out the feature that you could just push and hold the power button. It seems maybe the feature has changed since it originally debuted? I wonder if this is something a 3rd party app could interoperate with.

1 Like

What you can do on every phone I’ve tried (Samsung and Pixels) is hold the power button(s) down for about 10 seconds. Phone reboots, and needs a PIN before it enables the biometrics. You could do this covertly if you have the time.

1 Like