TWIT 855: Smitten by 2021

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

Loved the show! Such a treat to have all of the “internal” hosts together. Sounded like friends by the fireplace. Hope you had happy Christmas days!

2 Likes

In England, Boxing Day was always the day that the servants received gifts from the family, also delivery personnel (postman, delivery boys from the butcher, baker etc.) received either presents or money for their service to the household in the previous year.

What Leo said about giving food to the serfs might have been true in the Middle Ages, but it certainly isn’t the tradition that has been in use for the last couple of hundred years.

1 Like

I just have to tell you that “smitten” in danish translates into something like “the infection”, making it a very on point show title :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s fantastic. Clearly Smitten was Kismet.

1 Like

I don’t think England has has serfs since the Middle Ages.

The Oxford English Dictionary gives the earliest attestations from Britain in the 1830s, defining it as “the first weekday after Christmas day, observed as a holiday on which postmen, errand boys, and servants of various kinds expect to receive a Christmas box”.[9]

1 Like

On the Club TWiT feed, you mention at 2:20:20 that Boxing Day was when the lords of the manor boxed up all the food they didn’t eat and distributed it to the peasants, which is why you observe “Festivus”. That was what I was replying to.

1 Like