TWIT 824: Ask Shatner's Ghost

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

So far only 45 minutes into the show, but wanted to post my agreement that Google has lost its edge and I will be jumping to Apple later this year when I upgrade.
The fragmented phone ecosystem from the various Android manufactures and lack of support for basic security updates makes the lower end phones useless, and even the top end phones have such a short support life that the ROI for what the cost and at best 3 years of support, is just not worth it anymore.

3 Likes

$50,000 a year on Apple products? Yikes!

4 Likes

There was a whole holocaust project that interviewed holocaust survivors so students could have question and answer sessions with them.

I agree with @MikeElgan that Twitter should institute a real-names policy, but allow for public-facing pseudonyms. Open up verification for all users, and allow me to limit interaction to just verified users. Maybe if Twitter can generate some more revenue there will be less pressure to maintain growth and user counts at all costs.

4 Likes

Fascinating that one Google IO produces enough meat for half an episode of TWiT. No wonder that TWiG trailed off over the years - Google is simply not behaving too interesting anymore. And maybe that’s a good thing. A young chimp can afford to be dynamic, but a fast moving 400 pound gorilla will likely break things.

1 Like

But they kinda keep breaking things (like our workflows) when they kill the apps on Tuesday that they promoted on Monday. They are doing a lot to drive me to self host.

2 Likes

They’re going the Microsoft way. :wink:

I always find it fascinating that the CEO of Microsoft gets lauded while the CEO of Google gets trashed while both companies pile up comparable amounts of screw ups. Success seems to be all sales and marketing these days.

OK. That might be a bit less than fair. Both infrastructures have shouldered the Covid home office loads quite impressively.

Let’s give Tim Cook the benefit of the doubt since, after all, he is CEO and probably has so much to do that he probably wouldn’t know how profitable the app store is in relation to anything else. In this case, therefore, answering that question with “I believe so” would be understadable. Morphing between two frames sounds like Google have reinvented the GIF.
I agree with Jason about the HI Res audio thing. I’ve always been of the opinion that surround sound really doesn’t add anything. I used to have a 5.1 system which, in truth, was never very reliable but I honestly think running your TV through a normal 2.0 or 2.1 HiFi is good enough. Even if you turn off the lights, which I do, you still know the picture is coming from in front of you so why do you want footsteps, or a dying scream as someone gets burnt to death, coming from behind you? If it was VR and you could look round, being in the middle of things, and see it over your shoulder, than I could understand it

That’s a good point about Microsoft’s trail of destruction. I guess the difference for me is that I don’t trust/use Microsoft offerings nearly as much as Google’s so I’m less affected when Microsoft decides to pull rugs.

I guess that Google pulling the rug from under you with services like Google Reader and Google+ is understandable given that you’re not paying for those services. Not saying that I agree, since there are always going to be those who are affected whenever any company kill off a product, but if you’re a commercial enterprise then why keep the products/services around that aren’t making you money.
Windows and Gmail will probably always stay because Microsoft and Google would want a gateway for you to consume more of their products, i.e. you use Office 365 and Azure because you’re a Windows shop, or you use Google’s services because you have a Gmail account

These companies do a lot to woo us to use and invest in their products (even their free products) only to change the terms later. It’s just a reminder to consumers to never fully trust that the services will always be around. We should keep more control of our data.

1 Like

Regarding the show Triangulation. I loved the older shows with Leo, great. Leo you had great guesses and great conversations. The later shows with the other hosts I did not like the guesses they chose. This is why I stopped listening.

That’s the problem with interview shows. No one listens to all of them. As a result the overall downloads suffer. If you like as many as one in every two guests you’re going to only listen to half of the shows.

3 Likes

To my point I did listen to many of the triangulation show after you started letting other host choose the guesses. Personally I got disinterested mainly because the subject matter was not engaging/very interesting any more if that makes sense. I am not sure how to actually explain it. With your triangulation shows I would be on was on my seat listening to every word and got my mind engaged thinking/pondering about said subject. That was the great thing about Triangulation. With the other hosts the topics were not very engaging at all. Maybe that explains it a little better.

Just one more comment. Besides the points I stated above. It was also how you Presented the interview and you style that was go great!

1 Like

I don’t know what to say. Thanks for the kind words, but I can’t host every show on the network!

2 Likes