TWIT 804: The Bento Box Satellite

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

I read somewhere that using wood for the satellite case would allow antennas to be inside so no unfurling mechanism is needed, which saves on complexity and weight.
Which seems about the only saving grace for using wood.

2 Likes

Don’t satellites need to be shielded from cosmic rays? Wood doesn’t seem like the best job for that?

1 Like

The only problem I have with binge-watching shows is that you have no time to process what you’re watching. If, for example, you watch this final series of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina one episode a day, or a week, then you have a chance to discuss it with friends and/or digest what you’ve seen. Since autoplay is on by default we tend to binge a whole series of a show but I’m not sure you’re able to appreciate each episode. Having stayed up til 3am to watch all Stranger Things, I find that the last few episodes become a blur so maybe one or two episodes per night is the best way to do it.

I must say that I agree with the panel on the whole Brexit thing in so far as it’ll cause us a lot of short-term pain but then so does a trip to the dentist.

Brexit is not about turning our backs on Europe, or the United States, it is simply saying that we’ve had enough of taking orders from Brussels or, at least, that’s how I see it.

One advantage of Brexit that I’ve just thought of is that we can not adopt the parts of the GDPR that don’t make sense as well as not implement the EU Copyright Directive

One question though: what does “finishing Netflix” even mean? My experience is that, when I think I’ve seen everything, I’ll come across a movie or a TV show that I haven’t seen or want to rewatch

1 Like

I prefer weekly episode drops. I really appreciated the anticipation of a new episode of The Mandalorian every Friday night, and for shows like Watchmen, Game of Thrones, Westworld, Mr. Robot I liked the post-episode discussions and weekly podcasts breaking down everything between episodes. I did recently enjoy binging The Queen’s Gambit over three nights and will have finished the latest season of my guilty pleasure Cobra Kai over a few nights, so I will binge at times if it is available.
If you prefer to binge you always have the option of waiting until the end of the season. But the option to enjoy a series as a larger ongoing cultural phenomenon seems to mostly disappear without the weekly episode format.

2 Likes

You forgot the most important pencil thin mustache Boston Blackie (I.e. Jimmy Buffet)

With regards to healthcare, there are more choices than either socialized healthcare or employer-sponsored healthcare. We could switch to a system where individuals buy whatever plan they want like we do with other forms of insurance. That is the ultimate free-market solution. Let me decide which company I want to give my business to. I certainly don’t trust the federal government to do a good job.

Employer based healthcare came out because during the depression the government put wage caps on certain jobs so businesses competed for talent by giving benefits other than just money.

Sure that’s how a lot of people see Brexit. Especially those that if they lived in the US would be considered conservatives. They don’t get represented on TWIT though.

I do agree with you on binge watching. You need a break at some point, otherwise you just can’t take any more in. We “binge watched” Profiling Paris. We started off watching a couple of episodes an evening, but it quickly sank to 1 episode an evening, then to 2 - 3 a week. It went from fresh and exiting to “we have to watch this to the end of the current series”.

I think it is a big mistake. The UK has left the biggest trading partner it has and is now having to work from the outside, so it costs more to sell into Europe and goods made in Europe will cost more. Most “UK” products come from outside the UK these days.

Also all the trade deals with third party countries were defined over the EU. Now the UK will have to create new trade deals with those countries. That can often take a decade to complete. Often trade will drop from the preferential treatment they had under a treaty back to WTO conditions.

Given that the USA isn’t part of Europe, it isn’t turning its back on the USA. Although it will need to organize its own trade agreement with the USA now.

But, in the recent past, it has been Brussels telling the London that it has overstepped the mark and that the laws it proposes breach human rights’ doctrines. The RIPA Act, for example was sent back to Parliament at least twice, because it was overreaching and was too much of an invasion of privacy and stripped away human rights guaranteed under the EU convention.

Likewise it was berated for its implementation of GDPR - the Data Protection Act - because it doesn’t fulfil the requirements of GDPR.

Is that really what you want the EU to stop? The UK will become an even more draconian state if it doesn’t have to answer to anyone. I am very worried about what will become of the UK. I am lucky, I have dual citizenship (UK and Germany) and I currently live outside the UK. Brexit forced me to take on the German citizenship, I was happy being a Brit ex-pat, but now I am also a naturalised German citizen. It doesn’t bother me too much, I like Germany and want to stay here, but it was still an extra hurdle to jump through.

Unfortunately not. The UK switched from manufacturing in the early 20th Century to service industries and financial services in the late 20th and early 21st Century. They rely on doing business with the EU. If the GDPR isn’t impemented in full, those businesses will no longer be able to do business with Europe, or they will have to leave the UK.

This is the same problem that the US is currently facing, with Privacy Shield having been overturned. The US laws are not sufficient for US businesses to store information about EU citizens (without their consent) and it is quasi-illegal for EU businesses and citizens to use US based cloud services, because the privacy laws aren’t equivalent to the EU (they have the CLOUD Act, the Patriot Act, FISA Courts and National Security Letters, all of which are overreach for EU citizens data and therefore it is illegal to store data on servers belonging to companies that could be forced to comply with such laws). If the UK start messing about with GDPR, those service businesses, making a majority of the UK’s income, won’t be able to do business with Europe.

Those companies will either ahve to move to Europe or they will have to find a new source of income.

The UK, like the USA, would have a lower standing as an Information Trading Partner than Andorra, Argentina, Canada (only commercial organizations), Faroe Islands, Guernsey, Israel, Isle of Man, Jersey, New Zealand, Switzerland, Uruguay and Japan. A lower standard of digital living than Uruguay or Guernsey?

It means that everything you want to watch / plan to watch has been watched.

2 Likes

You have a point that it seems bizarre that we’d leave the EU single market only to seek a trade deal but I doubt it’ll take as long as a decade for us to do trade deals with the non-EU countries. The deal between Canada and the EU only took as long as it did because it has to satisfy every member state

Most of the low orbit satellites are within the Earths’ magnetic field so have some protection. Even the space station stays close enough to benefit from it.
But it still remains to be seen how useful this will be.

1 Like

If it costs more to buy a product then it’s because the EU wants to punish the UK. That’s despicable if you ask me.

As a Canadian who pays more for everything that is cheaper in the USA, I can assure you it’s not usually because of “punishment” (Frump stupidity aside.) It’s more to do with extra paper work, duties and taxes that our government imposes because of “reasons.” Then there is also currency exchange, which is rarely done in favourable terms for anyone.

1 Like

What are you talking about? Punishing the UK?

The UK were inside the trading group and didn’t have to pay any tariffs. Then they decided to leave the trading group and now we have to pay tariffs, because we are on the outside.

I am British, even though I don’t currently live there, and I think it was a silly move.

Tariffs are a form of punishment. We charge the people we don’t like a fee to do business with us. The people we like get to trade with us for free.

That is not the purpose of tariffs. It’s how certain people are using them right now, but their actual intended purpose is just to level the playing field.

1 Like

Tariffs, or rather customs duty, are a standard way of taxing imports and exports. Every country uses them. You generally start with WTO levels of tariffs (fairly high and blanket rates for most categories of products - it is a little more complicated than that in the details), until you have made a trade agreement - normally you give your trading partner favourable terms on products they make and you need and they give you favourable terms for products you make and they need. Higher duties are held on products that are mutually manufactured, in order to encourage the purchase of home-grown products.

You can also hike the tariffs to show displeasure with a foreign entity, although you have to expect that they will retaliate and raise tariffs on key products you export to them.

Whilst the UK was inside the EU trading block, they didn’t have to worry about tariffs, products can move freely between countries within the EU trading block without incurring tariffs. Only when the products were exported to the rest of the world were they subject to tariffs.

Now that the EU belongs to the “rest of the world” for the UK, they have to have tariffs between them and the EU.

That is how international trade works. There is no “punishment” per se. That they couldn’t reach a good agreement in time means they are possibly paying more than they could have, if they had managed to get a good agreement. A punishment would be extremely high duties (100%+) on products coming from the UK into the EU, that is not the case. AFAIK, none of the duties exceed WTO standards (I haven’t looked into every individual product, but we are still shipping product to the UK and, whilst we have to pay duties, they aren’t exorbitant.

2 Likes

Just came across this episode’s discussion of and hope for the roaring twenties. Awesome to hear the high spirits. Joining the group to entirely forget about the thirties and forties thereafter. There will be absolutely no downside to a „roaring“ decade.

Seriously, though - let’s try not making it a roaring anything. Let’s take one careful and considerate step at a time, not kill the planet or any one on it. How about the thoughtful twenties?

3 Likes

Btw: you can say Fachidiot [Far Hh ee dee ot, certified in one area, idiot in all other areas] , bit harsh and 80s, but the more tongue in cheek way would be speaking of someone having an Inselbegabung [in cell bi gar bung, island talent], person with an island-like talent in a sea of incapability. (Re 1:29)

2 Likes

I like “island talent.” Thanks for the modern German! And I agree @carbonga - the aftermath of the Roaring '20’s were nothing to celebrate.

2 Likes