TWIT 798: The Lighthouse Keeper and His Robot Butler

Let me introduce you to our friends xCloud and Stadia and Nvidia GEForce Now and Playstation Now (and others I’m sure.) It’s not exactly the same as local gaming, to be sure, but you no longer need to keep up with the latest in CPU and GPU hardware, a Chromebook or a cellphone can do it.

Offline? Large areas of the country don’t have high speed internet which is necessary for the service. Having played stadia it’s a poor substitute for maxed out local components, and could never be used for low latency play let alone competitively. It’s also another step toward leasing your games, in this case also your system, which is a controversial topic for gamers.

2 Likes

The problem, here in Europe, is that it is hosted by Microsoft, so it would be illegal to use it to store or process any data on it, as long as the Patriot Act, CLOUD Act and FISA courts still exist in the USA.

OMG you did it! Hahaha

1 Like

As PHolder I think incisively points out, even preserving 230’s bright-line regarding the source of content versus its medium of exposure fails to address the harms generated by the means of brokering that exposure even independent of any intent or bias. Corporate parasites upon human attention must no longer be rewarded, but instead starved, punished, abolished, and destroyed, but the best way to do that isn’t by regulation, it’s by cultural scorn (not careful navel-gazing about which will be the next big corporation) and better personal, private, individual-empowering tech like distributed end-to-end encrypted free and open-source communications, archiving, and protected search-and-retrieval. FreedomBox and Librem by Purism are the best examples I’ve found of tangible steps toward making this a reality, and I’m chagrined they don’t get more airtime and attention on TWiT (though I, of course, see clear conflict-of-interest reasons why they don’t).

42:00 The L-word show🤣 @Leo’s nothing if not entertaining😋

Schmeiser at 01:01:00 talking about data portability gets at the true solution IMO, which is to avoid corporate brokering of functionality, and force corporate interests in “platforms” to the margins as “dumb pipes” and champion, instead, open standards, not platforms, as fraught as that process can be. I take issue with Leo’s accounting of email as starting with silos, because the system itself began as an open federated system and it was predatory, un-enlightened self-interest of coporations responsible for swooping in and attempting to carve it up, with results no less disastrous than any frontier the same culture has decimated over the centuries.

Turrentine’s point at 01:21:00 that while it’s not anti-competitive it is a market-share boon I think leverages not mere cachet but rather is undergirded by real privacy protections Apple works extremely hard to provide and enforce under its own clear interests. I thought her most incisive point on the subject was at 01:23:50 that apps had better never game for lock-in because it’s about user command of communication and their own history. I couldn’t agree more with Gill at 01:23:05 that rather than bring Messages to other platforms all they have to do is stop penalizing Apple users for “fraternizing with the enemy” and 01:19:15 about how it’s not actually lock-in to be a default in this instance (unlike MS Explorer back in the day) but only if Apple makes fully good and maintains her other point about frictionless parity for its users. Leo miffed at 01:26:00 noting the “Tower of Babel” for messaging is the same corporate-cowed learned helplessness that I fault for causing it. At 01:27:00 about Discord’s “bad-boy” reputation, Leo’s not wrong: over the years there have been pockets of virulent hate festering on the platform, and it took some concerned individuals reporting that to Discord for them to cop a clue. That said, Turrentine’s characterization of it today is not inaccurate, and I think her assessment of its motivations for that are valid. As Schmeiser notes of it, though, what happens to its character once it hits the enterprise in half a decade?

I disagree Leo. By adding a fact check you are publishing your opinion on the matter. I listen to Glenn Beck and some of his posts get tagged with these fact checks and he has the documents to prove what he is saying is true. This is especially a problem because most of the time the “fact-checkers” are his competition.

By doing this all they are going to do is drive conservatives off the platform and you’ll have liberal twitter and conservative Parlor. Personally I think your nuts if you get your news (especially political news) from social media.

1 Like

I don’t fully disagree with you, but I need to correct one thing: by definition facts are not opinions.

What I think you mean is the choice of which facts you check is a form of opinion, and that I agree with.

4 Likes

I agree 100% with you abought this, and have commented on this issue many times in the past

Unfortunately, you won’t find many, if anyone, on this site that will agree with that stance.

You could argue that “fact checking” is the same as moderation. In both cases, you are actively making a decision regarding the content on your platform.
I don’t think Microsoft would ever say that Windows requires their own chip but they might say it works better with their own chip. As for the M1, I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again, it is not the game changer for the industry that some would make it out to be. I didn’t hear anything about the Mac desktops going over to M1, just the laptops, so most of the desktops and laptops being sold will continue to run Intel.
A few laptops from a company who only has about 20% market share not running Intel or AMD is hardly going to make ether of those two start panicking.
You’ll only care about the 22 hour battery life if you’re using a laptop for 22 hours. If I’m editing video on a gaming monster desktop PC running Windows, then not only do I have all the performance I need, but I also don’t care about battery life.
At the low end, then, M1 will boost performance and battery life, and at the high end, it MIGHT boost efficiency but the question is could you even make a chip that powerful more efficient than AMD or Intel?
If this were what Steve Jobs wanted to do then he’d have done it instead of moving over to Intel?

1 Like

The difference I see with traditional editorial media like TWiT’s format is that they neither feature nor in most cases profit off user activity or expression as part of the show’s editorial voice and/or branded content. The nearest I’ve seen is a viewer comment being read as part of Q&A for a show and I doubt anyone would confuse what’s in the letter versus what the show says about it. Macebook (intentional mis/spelling) and its ilk harnessing the contents of user expression for purposes of engagement and profit is the parasite that must be expelled, IMO: harvesting content to leverage its purchase against users’ lifespan as your means of generating your existence is corrosive of their lives by definition, whereas editorial content is reliant upon and therefore limited by and somewhat accountable to, both its audience and sponsors, whereas platform aggregators like Google, Macebook, Amazon, and even Apple’s App Store to an extent, instead make both users and sponsors dependent upon them, all the more dangerously in a way self-reinforced by all of its most socially destructive dynamics. Rooting out this platform-aggregator role can be done discreetly from editorial impingement, IMO, by disallowing/prohibiting any business model placing a 3rd party between consumers/users/viewers and sponsors in any manner of asset (such as time and attention) receivership from any of them (where consumers/users/viewers are the sponsors, as with Patreon or a membership version of TWiT should it morph that direction, obviously the union between sponsor and consumer is consummately achieved) in a way allowing that party to exert control or influence over such assets (such as selective exposure at the core of platform-aggregators’ algorithmic fiefdoms). Viewers of a bespoke outlet like TWiT are simply free to tune out, so they do not empower a host in this way; platform-aggregators, however, leverage the immense assets the value of which ranges far, far beyond the platform itself and any media in which it trafficks, of social graphs, time, attention, and user expression to captivate a user’s attention (and with it, their time and energy, and oftentimes also their expression), while advertisers hurl themselves at the aggregator for whatever crumbs of users’ assets it deigns to make available to those sponsors, both of which vest assets, control, and therefore power into the platform and its aggregator, and do so at the expense of the other parties while also making them pay money, in the case of the sponsors.

Here’s the thing: were a truly private, non-corporate rubric to exist for microtargeting that anonymized its users fully, I would be on-board, but that’s not what’s happening. What’s happening right now is that platforms are giving society a wedgie while crying crocodile capitalist tears as they waddle, fat and happy and numb to the suffering they instrument, off to the bank. You don’t have to put editorial on the hook for aggregation (they’re two separate things), but you sure as shit had better put aggregation on the hook for parasitism, IMO (they cannot but be inextricably intertwined for platform-aggregators which profit thereby).

I’m an iPhone user. I have both a Windows 10 (HP Laptop) and a MacBook Pro (Mid-2009) running Catalina. My preferred computer to use is the MacBook. This is because I can message everyone from this device and not have to pick up my phone to do so. For my iPhone. I use iMessage with my iPhone peeps and except for my partner, I use Facebook messenger with my Android friends. I live in a rural area where I appreciate being able to see when a message gets delivered.

If you use WhatsApp, Signal or Telegram, for example, you can message from any device, Android, iOS, macOS, Windows or Linux. They all offer either a native app or a web app for multi-platform messaging.

None of my friends or family use those platforms. However they all use Facebook messenger

I don’t know anyone who uses Facebook Messenger, iMessage or Google’s various attempts at messaging.

Everybody seems to use Telegram, Signal or WhatsApp over here.

1 Like

I communicate with most of my family via Google Hangouts (yes, I know). Since I integrate with Voice, I also get SMS through Hangouts.
The two exceptions are my niece and nephew, who both use FB Kids (Messenger with parental controls for the underages). I personally hate FB, and really prefer not to use it. I don’t have Messenger installed so I usually have to schedule time that I’m logged in via browser.

SMS is also very rare here these days. I have one relation with whom I use SMS. I think I have had about a dozen SMS this year and 10 were account activation code.

There is a very big difference between how the USA seems to communicate and how many other lands do it.

Yes there is. I use SMS to talk to my dad. Used to use Skype, but at some point it went extremely wonky so he stopped using it. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of SMS. I prefer to communicate using a real keyboard.

My wife on the other hand, is the reason I switched to unlimited texting way back in the day…

This is true. In the US, we seem to be more split than in other countries. Personally, I am able to use iMessage with 99% of my contacts which works well for me, but I see the benefit of using a third-party service. I’d love for everyone to use Signal, but the benefit of iMessage is that I don’t have to worry about whether an iOS or iPadOS user has an app installed, it’s built in. I know I know, it’s a walled garden and isn’t cross platform…

1 Like

I think that is also part of it. In America iPhone has a large market, over here, they were under 20% share for the past several years. With the iPhone 11 and 12,they seem to have crawled over the 25% share in the last quarter.

In my group of regular people, I communicate with let’s say 50 people, all but five have iPhones. Most of us can use iMessage, which I don’t mind if I’m on the Mac. If I’m on my Windows PC and working and they want to chat I normally switch over to messenger since it is cross platform. I know the walled Garden approach isn’t perfect but I’m in it and it works so there’s that. :slight_smile: