TWIT 775: Bacon Buddies

I really like Iain because of his distinct perspective and - even more so - for his accent. It’s simply fun to have a show that sounds like “perspectives from half of the world”. There is another regular guest, French native speaker, who provides even more international perspective that simply makes the podcast matter even more to me.

That said, and coming back to Iain: not only that nobody holds a candle to him on political correctness, but his technique of drinking coffee while doing mails and, by doing so using a touch device, freeing up a hand, must be ground breaking. Listening to the podcast without video, I was not able to figure out how he’d manage to free up a hand by using touch instead of the mouse. :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s how one of the biggest resellers of Microsoft 365, Deutsche Telekom (corporate behind T-Mobile), does their support via phone: “I’m going to send you to TeamViewer and then we’ll fix that for you.” Happened week before last to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand the need to address these topics and I was enjoying the show right up to the two hour mark where Leo made the comment, “unlike Wendy’s, which deserves to be set on fire, frankly”. What problem do you have with Wendy’s? It was the location of another tragic killing. Please explain the justification for setting it on fire. As a business owner, I found this comment extremely upsetting.

I haven’t listened to this episode. He REALLY said that? Wow…

That’s tremendously disappointing…

1 Like

I don’t know how he meant it, but you could take it as a generic “the food there is so bad that it should be eliminated.”

4 Likes

re: wanting to be on to debate but just listening - that’s an interesting take on it. I struggle with that when listening to podcasts that brush against my beliefs. Kudos.

2 Likes

Silly comment warning:

The People’s Title of this show is: Sweet Click Juice

3 Likes

Windows 10 hate all around except for Warren. How very ironic.

Is Windows really too complicated for the average Apple user? I am starting to think so. Aside from Windows reinstalling Candy Crush every major update (uninstall literally takes 5 seconds), turn off suggestions in the start menu and me having to run a registry entry to fix File Explorer every once in a while for double listing drives, Windows 10 works excellent. For all the Apple love, I’ve got a 2009 Macbook Pro. Have not been able to update iOS since 2017 because Apple forces their users (I am being kind) to buy a new Macbook after 7 years. You know what works excellent on it? Windows 10 2004. But Apple is so great!!!

I did have a problem with Windows lately on one of my three systems, first time in three years. An update killed Windows search. I restored and then updated again and everything works fine.

Man Windows is terrible!!!

2 Likes

It was the same with my iMac 24" 2007, it stopped getting updates in 2012, but Windows was supported on it up until January this year…

I had forgotten about TeamViewer but my point is that ANY free or reasonnably priced commercial offering is likely to be as bad or not a whole lot better. So, in my mind, we might as well go on using Zoom. It’s just that Zoom is getting all the attention

i use Win10 and had no desire to buy a Mac. The joke at the studio is i’m the only person running Win10. :wink:

6 Likes

Another thoughts.

MSFT and AAPL are very close in market cap.

I love how @IainT can’t accept consoles. He is a true geek. You know what is even more fun than the game? Trying to get it to work with the best optimized settings possible on your own system. I only play FPS games so of course I need a mouse but racing games? You definitely need analog controls, a keyboard just won’t do. I will say this, an original thought. All people who play games who also use a Mac have a console. I am sure it is because Macs and their upgrades they allow are not really suited for video games.

It is often talked about how Facebook is designed to show you outrageous things in order to drive engagement. I have a quick tip. The unfollow button works well for people you follow. I have a crazy right wing nut uncle and I have not seen a post from him in years. I just went to see his timeline to see if he posts.

Yep. Still 10 posts a day. Five complaining about democrats, many with personal attacks. 2 claiming unsubstantiated conspiracies (many started by you know who) and three circulating the RNC talking points of the day. He hasn’t changed a bit. Thank you unfollow button.

I still get the Trump ads but at least they are not every 3rd post like my uncle used to be before I unfollowed him…

2 Likes

No hate from me. I’m pretty much the only person using windows at work outside of our editors

1 Like