TWiT 739: Bob Ross with Biceps

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

2 Likes

I can confirm many healthcare systems use pagers. Probably the largest overpaying consumer of old, outdated technology

4 Likes

I saw an article on one of the news sites recently where someone was saying that pagers are still in use in a lot of places because they are the only technology that will work reliably in old hospital buildings. They said that mobile phone signals just don’t reach deep into complex buildings with the certainty needed. Wish I could find the link, but unfortunately it’s just long enough ago that I can’t recall the site. However I did find this older article that runs over the same discussion: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47332415

1 Like

My company actually got hacked by ransomware last week! It really has sucked trying to get everything back to what it was…luckily we keep a log saved…it goes back as recent as 2 weeks but anything from then til now was lost!

When I see a.) Iain Thomson b.) all guests in studio I know it’s going to be a great show. :grinning:

10 Likes

It was great hearing about AMD Ryzen on the show. While we wait for the mobile chips to come out, at least the Epyc Server chips are showing up in benchmarks and are doing the same thing that the desktop chips have done. This 3rd Gen is pretty amazing with the chiplettes and mixing 7nm with 12nm. Anyways it was a good show. Good job @ant_pruitt
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

1 Like

King of Snark: “Chinese military parade full of red flags”
Anytime you have terrible and negative tech news, you have to get @IainT to come in to comment…:joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

I know what you mean about @IainT, the sayings just roll off his tongue.

1 Like

THANKS. Was a fun show and discussion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My pager (beeper) service was around $20 back in the '90s… today I pay less than $30 for my cell (Google Fi)… go figure :dizzy_face:

1 Like

I completely agree! It was a fantastic show with four fabulous individuals! @ThomasMNS

I work at a hospital and doctors and nurses use them. They are incredibly effective but old school.

I literally had this conversation this morning with work. We’re one of the few still using pagers for our emergency staff because of reliability. However, it’s getting in the way of process a bit, so likely shifting to smartphone app of some sort. That and fear of it shutting down like Japan.

Enjoyed the episode. Very good panel. Wondering though, am I the only person out here that doesn’t give a dang about smartphone camera/picture quality? Everytime a new phone is released the camera seems to be the only aspect that everyone focuses on.

3 Likes

I agree with you on that, to a point.
Once you clear the bar of “good enough” (which for me is a pretty low bar) I don’t care.

Yep…:wink:

P.S. the new cuss word replacement is now dadgum (right @ant_pruitt ?)

2 Likes

That’s because that is about the only area they can seriously innovate on right now. Unless we get some battery system revolution, it is just a matter of the phone getting slightly faster or tweaking the login means (face reading or in glass fingerprint readers)… doesn’t seem to be much more to get excited about… so camera computation it is. That’s the same reason why they’re doing folding phones now… that form factor is something new to crow about.

1 Like

What a fun TWiT. Yes - a lot of somewhat grim news but these days it is hard to separate tech from the headlines and the headlines are what they are right now. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I understand your position, but I definitely care about camera quality in phones. That, battery life and charging speed are where I focus my attention.

1 Like

I I’m not saying I don’t care. If I take a picture I want it to look good. I’m just complaining about is the fact that the tech media will spend an hour talking about how good the camera is and spend 5 minutes talking about battery life, processor speed, and screen, etc.

3 Likes