TWIG 715: Illegal Use of Whipped Cream

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

So @Leo and crew, do you think Google have done enough to catch up with the others or did it look like a giant scramble to throw AI at everything to see if it has anything anyone really wants. I may be an old saddo, but I can’t imagine having the time to fart around with an AI assisted text app,

1 Like

I am having a really hard time trying to understand the difference between these ‘new’ limited language models and Expert systems, particularly with things like Microsofts tools for building FAQs, you throw your text into it and then randomly query it. Can someone tell me the difference? To me it sounds like a poor use of 7 years from Google, or am I hating on them too much?

Basically, how does it differ from this which I have used d for the past 6 years https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/products/cognitive-services

Also built into these https://www.ez-robot.com/

2 Likes

They just changed the buzz words. Expert Systems are so 1980s.

2 Likes

So it’s really nothing new, same poop, different smell :grin:

Paul Smith-Keitley
Adobe Creative Educator

2 Likes

Seems the Pixel 7a suffers the same issue Samsung has always had with their FEs now they’ve bumped up the price by $50.

Best Buy has the Pixel 7 for $499.

1 Like

Just thinking of Kochava, isn’t that what Google does with Android already? (admittedly it’s bad at it but if it tracks where it thinks I’ve been I am sure it finds a way to monetize it!)

This talk about AI not always being right, but its users completely trusting the output reminds me of the movie Minority Report. Just thinking that the system in place has no fault is dangerous.

When we get AI fact checking AI, then we are good. /s

2 Likes

How does that riddle go: Everything I say is a lie. I am lying.

2 Likes

The pricing of the tablet is a bit odd here in the UK and Europe. Loss-leader in the US to get established? Not US sales tax, 'cos the Pixel 7a prices are different and what I was expecting.

Pixel Tablet - $499 £599 €679
Pixel 7a - $499 £449 €509

Interesting. I assume they’re actually willing to make less on the 7a on the assumption they will sell more, because they need it to look successful and they can make more of user data from a phone than from a tablet.

1 Like

The difference is Kochava (and other data brokers) SELL that info to anyone. Google, Facebook, and Apple have the information but they keep it to themselves/

Also known as the Russellian Class Paradox. And it’s a conundrum. “If the barber in a town shaves everyone who doesn’t shave themselves, who shaves the barber?”

2 Likes

I am not an Apple fan by a long way, but for a reading on the plane and naff games to waste I have an iPad, Liz runs her business empire on a tablet, but it is a Surface Pro. Android tablets are like unicycles - limited use, on limited tasks, but very few people want one!!!

I can see the Wendy’s hack now, people ordering food in Petaluma, food being made in Miami :grin:

I know this is the consensus, never really understood it though. Mine runs Office365. Used all the time when I travel and can’t be bothered to take the PC.

I have an iPad, my ex wife had an Android Tablet, we both live in different eco systems :wink: anyhow the ipad is use far more than the android tablet is ever used. I’m not saying it’s because it’s a better operating system. My wife just doesn’t see that the tablet adds any more value to her life that her phone doesn’t offer. I use my to consume media more than anything. I find the tablet offers a size that feels more comfort to look at while mobile. I drive a bus for a local nursing home, and while most of my commutes are local in nature and I’m not more than 20 minutes from the facility, there are trips that are 1+ hours away and I wait at the office for the appointment to conclude. Sometimes 4+ hours. On these days I take my iPad with me and consume my shows and will occasionaly respond to messages on my phone. So I can keep watching my show with out having to launch another app or lose part of my screen real estate.

I say all that to say, in my personal life experience more people use iPads than will admit to using an Android tablet.

I agree, although my wife uses amazon fire devices in the nurseries as they 1/10 the price of an iPad, they only need a browser and are just as durable in that environment

Google at least, indirectly sells it to third parties by using it to enhance the sales of their ads

Paul Smith-Keitley
Adobe Creative Educator

Waiting for Google to let me select a specific document or group of documents as a dataset so I can ask their AI things like “generate a paragraph in my writing style” or “write a paragraph to follow this one” or “write a transition from this paragraph to the one below.” Goodbye, writer’s block!