TWIG 661: Oligarchs At the Gate

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

Listening to this show today - boy that Cathy seems to be a very angry / frustrated person with a hatred for Elon, wow.

1 Like

In general, I’d prefer that comments in here not be ad hominem but instead be about the arguments themselves. Talking about someone’s style, looks, persona is dopey - speak to their ideas instead. Thank you.

6 Likes

I think Twitter’s ongoing bot problems have been under-discussed in the prevailing freakout over Elon buying Twitter. We have foreign intelligence services launching social drone strikes which amplify the most extreme and divisive voices among us. Up to now, management fealty to shareholders makes it impossible to meaningfully act against bots, because it hurts engagement stats.

I’m not sure Elon will actually have the stomach to effectively ban bots, but him taking Twitter private seems like a chance to steer social media in a more accountable direction. In a world where conservative-focused alternatives do exist, and as more than punch lines to their users, I thing finding some way for us to all responsibly tweet together is necessary to heal our increasingly fractured society.

I guess I’d understand the outrage a lot more if Twitter and its social media cohorts hadn’t been a disaster on our society for everyone who doesn’t profit from them. Do we really believe that Twitter’s status quo is meaningfully protecting us from extremism?

2 Likes

OK, I assumed since comments like that are made on the show, it would be OK here as well, but I will try to refrain from such comments, LOL.

2 Likes

/sarcastic humour mode engaged
He can’t ban himself any more than Zuck can ban himself on FaceBroke. I think they’re both low quality androids.

1 Like

Great show this week. I couldn’t see what @marliny was on about, I thought Cathy’s comments were purposely kept general and not an attack on Musk.

I loved the type discussion, I could have listened to that for hours, great fun and informative.

5 Likes

Agreed on all counts!

I’ve been on Twit.Social for sometime now, as well as on Twitter. I’m a huge fan of the Twit.Community site, obviously since I’m here a ton. But I’m also a huge fan of TWIT’s Discord. That being said, twit.social is only checked about once a week currently as I just don’t find there is enough community there to warrant me checking it anymore often. I wish it wasn’t so. Twitter, I check in the evenings or if I’m bored and looking for a news story to read. Don’t really know personally most people that I follow on Twitter, I follow more news orgs or the content creator themselves then anything else. So much more of a lurker than a producer. So hoping that Elon buying Twitter doesn’t make it less of an RSS reader for me so to speak.

1 Like

I think you’re right - Twitter is mostly a news feed at this point for me, as well. The days of thrilling over the back and forth there have long gone.

TWiT.social just hasn’t reached critical mass I guess.

2 Likes

Hi - I’ve been a Twit subscriber since the begining. I’ve never been so irritated as I was listening to this show. Some of the comments by the pannelist were just outrageous. If you are going to discuss Elon Musk - I think you need to bring in some panelists who have spent time understanding Elon’s companies and can put forward some alternative perspectives. Dave Lee (Dave Lee Investing) or Rob Maurer (Telsa Daily) are 2 great examples.

During the show today here are a few comments that needed someone to push back against:

49:40 “I’m sure there are things he can do competently so I carn’t say he’s a complete door knob.”

52:00 Discussing the success of Telsa and the “lies to reality” ratio implying that Telsa was only successful because “Elon was willing to disregard enviornmental regulation, workplace regulation, work hours .etc…”

I’m fine for people to express their opinions - but we need some balance to make this a viable discussion. Where was someone to point out increadible design & engineering that’s made Telsa so successful, or the innovation that’s complety disrupted the space industry. I just receved my Starlink dish a few days ago - Starlink is revoluionizing connectivity is remote locations all around the world - for a fraction of the cost of older systems - and for Jeff - Starlink is the cash cow that will drive SpaceX’s growth.

The discussion around Elon’s take over of Twitter must have sounded like the discussion that went on amount “space” experts 20 years ago when Elon started SpaceX. Look at what they have achieved - that would be been thought of as pure fantasy back 20 years ago.

Personally - I don’t think Elon gets nearly enough credit for building great teams of people in his companies. You don’t have businesses like Telsa and SpaceX just because of 1 person - it takes a well functioning team to achive that kind of success.

My money is on Elon here to do a first class job reengineering Twitter - its going to be a very interesting journey.

2 Likes

Your bias is showing.

1 Like

I have a good bunch of cyber security people I follow, many also run a group for better treatment of women & minorities in cyber security, so it is a good and friendly group.

I also follow a couple of friends and a a couple of satire sites, which are generally good fun.

I see very little abuse, bad language or bullying etc. it is a good, fun, informed discussion for the most part, although the satire accounts tend to pull in some idiots from time to time - ones who don’t read the bio, before answering.

Given it isn’t generally a show about Tesla, or Musk, I think the panelists did a relatively good job. They kept the discussion fairly neutral and tried to concentrate on the Twitter takeover and how it might affect his other companies, and his reasons for doing so.

You mean the ones that still can’t put together a Tesla with proper, even and consistant clearances between the panels? Or deliver cars with orange peel paint? My boss’ Tesla S is not a bad example, but it still lacks the finish and consistancy of my Nissan, let alone a more expensive, comparable vehicle.

Tesla and Musk did shake up the automotive world a decade ago, their motors and battery technology seem top notch, but their lack of experience in actually building a complete car shows and their driving aids seem no better, or worse, than other manufacturers. There are a couple of stretches of road around here, where the lane assistants from Nissan, Kia, Volkswagen, Skoda and Tesla all try and put the vehicle in the crash barrier or down an embankment, if you don’t fight against it - they seem to mistake tar strips from road repairs as lines to follow.

Whatever, the story this week wasn’t about Tesla or SpaceX directly, it was about possible fall-out from the Twitter purchase and Musk’s kamikaze attitude to announcements on social media, and his seeming lack of understanding about what free speech actually means, and what limits are actually legally set on it. That all has the possibility of making a huge debacle, if he does not tread carefully and control his tongue, things he seems incapable of doing, until now.

The relevant things to the discussion are more his attituted to the SEC, “if I buy Twitter, I can say what I want,” to which the SEC say, “no, you still need to get a lawyer to okay every tweet you make.” I have a feeling that the more we go into this takeover the more we will see it isn’t what he envisaged and I could see him backing out of the deal, when he finds out that he can’t simply have his way.

Edit: was pointed out it was the SEC and not FCC.

2 Likes

This show may not be about Musk, but this episode was definitely about him generally as much or more than the acquisition specifically. A lot of the commentary had the ring of /r/antiwork’s greatest hits roasting Elon, rather than actually diving with any depth into possible scenarios for Twitter’s direction moving forward.

I’m not sure Elon’s run-ins with the SEC (the FCC doesn’t care about his tweeting) should be something that most people care about. I’m pretty sure his shenanigans have hurt regular people far less than a lot of the perfectly legal villainy on Wall Street.

In a world of rich jerks who abuse their power, it almost feels like people are upset that Elon is trying to do something that isn’t pure mustache-twirling capitalism. How dare he have the energy to still care about stuff when he has so much money!

If the primary evidence of Elon’s alleged nincompoopery are panel gaps in Teslas and the non-delivery of self-driving cars, that seems like a losing case to me.

1 Like

Just as a fun fact, there’s a site out there named 280daily that defines itself as a microjournaling service. (It’s had a limit of 280 characters since the days when Twitter’s was still 140.) The apparent difference between microjournaling and microblogging is that it’s private. But does a weblog really stop being a weblog when it’s private if it’s still web-based? In any case, it’s certainly not comparable to Twitter in scale/userbase; if it were, its existence would be common knowledge and not a “fun fact.”

1 Like

I don’t know anyone that uses twitter.

1 Like

Pot, meet kettle!!!

Are you as much of an Elon fan as you are a mindless Apple fanboy Richard? Elon’s approach to business appears to be that everything should be high end and too expensive for poor folk, which would fit perfectly with Apple’s apparent approach to technology.

hahahahahahaha, No I’m just really amused at Elon’s antics and the angst he causes with them!! and my Apple Fanboyism, stems from my 16 years as an Apple manager :grinning:

1 Like