Thunderbolt or USB C video pass through

Hi everyone
I have usb c 4k 60hz monitor
And i have 3 laptop s with thunderbolt output
But im not able to find any hub that can pass video output from usb c port
All I could find is the ones with hdmi
This way i cant use the monitor usb 3 output and share external ssd and keyboard and mouse etc
Even the expensive docking station doesn’t have such features
Do you know any device or any way to achieve this

Most USB-C monitors are designed as hubs so you just plug the monitor directly in to the laptop.

2 Likes

Yes but mine has only 2 usb3 output so i cant use any of my usb c devices like ssd any more
I need something before the monitor

Can you daisy chain from one monitor to the other?

Not unfortunately i have 2 LG 4k monitors but no n can dasy chain

I have an Anker hub that is USB-C, and has a USB-C port, but no idea if it can pass through the video. My monitors are HDMI.

We use Dell USB-C and Thunderbolt docks, we then attach 2 24" monitors with DisplayPort or HDMI, but they only have one USB-C in port. They cost around the $200 mark, I think.

For USB-C passthru, you will probably need to look at the docks that @Leo recommends, like the CalDigit hubs.

This has 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt passthru ports and 4 USB A ports. On Amazon Germany, it is around 250€, so probably a bit less in dollars.

This has 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt passthru ports, plus DisplayPort, Ethernet etc. On Amazon Germany, it is around 450€, so, again, probably a bit less in dollars, by the time you’ve added sales tax etc.

2 Likes

That helps a lot thank you

BTW is there any app to test usb speed im trying to see which of my usb 3 hubs can reach faster speed without copy paste a file on a ssd and guess tge dpeed

1 Like

Try looking at CrystalDiskMark or AS SSD Benchmark, they will test an attached SSD.

Remember, each monitor added, especially 4K 60Hz, will dramatically reduce the overall bandwidth still available for other devices plugged into the hub - I think each 4K monitor needs around 16gbps, so, with 2 4K monitors attached, you will have around 8gbps left for everything else, if you are using Thunderbolt 3/4.

2 Likes