STT video not yet available to subscribe?

The newsletter says to subscribe to the new video edition of STT. I’ve tried it in three podcatchers - Podcast Addict, Podcast Republic and Podcast Go - but their search functions only find the audio version and none of them can find anything using the subscribe links on the show page. Typically I see a message like “no feed found”. Should I wait a bit longer?

2 Likes

@mikahsargent I’ve also been looking for the video version but haven’t found it. I’ve searched in Pocket Casts and Playapod.

Blue Ribbon cutting Streaming Live Previously recorded 01/06/20 7:00pm CST even though screen label shows This Week in Tech. @mikahsargent, audio glitch “knocking or popping sound” seems to be most noticeable on Matthew Cassinelli’s feed.

We can’t really give you a video feed when we haven’t published any video episodes yet. Check back later!

4 Likes

@PDelahanty no worries, I was misled by the newsletter saying “subscribe” and referring to “today’s episode”. That made me think there should be something there for a podcatcher to find. I’m content to wait until it’s published.

2 Likes

Update: I can see that there’s a video episode on the TWiT.tv site, but Apple Podcasts is still only showing me the MP3 version, which I guess is what controls what my podcatcher programs can subscribe to. So, no option to subscribe to video yet.

2 Likes

Here’s the link for Smart Tech Today in HD Video on iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/id1494022247

@PDelahanty thank you - subscribed! :+1:
I’m still puzzled that I can’t find it using the search function in podcatcher apps or in Podcasts on my iPad.

The video episode has only been published for 12 hours. It sometimes takes 24 hours or more for some podcatchers to discover new feeds. This is why we usually post an “Episode 0” when we launch a new show…but in this case, it’s episode 13 and that episode is available everywhere on the audio feed, but these new video feeds are going to take some time to propagate out there.

3 Likes

@PDelahanty thanks for that, there’s a lot about the mechanics of podcasts that I don’t know yet, so I appreciate the explanation.

4 Likes

Something still not working apparently?

“ScreenCapture” 2020-01-07 at 8.05.07 PM

I just clicked the link I posted above, opened the URL in Chrome, clicked the “Listen in Apple Podcasts” link, which loaded iTunes and loaded the episode’s video fine. I also confirmed the episode plays okay on iOS. Not sure why it’s not playing for you.

Try subscribing in Apple Podcasts or iTunes rather than playing it in your browser. If you want to play it in your browser, the TWiT.tv link or YouTube link should work fine. An Early Look at Smart Devices From CES

2 Likes

I finally found it in Playapod - just had to quit the app and relaunch before it would show up.

2 Likes

I have a suggestion - any time a new show is announced in the newsletter, might it be worth adding a note like this?

“Note: indexing of new feeds by player apps may take from 48 to 96 hours after the first episode is published on the TWiT.tv site.”

That way, if it appears in less than two days, everyone’s impressed with the speed, and if it takes more than four days it’s only going to seem slow rather than “something must have broken!”. :wink:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Downcast iOS still only showing MP3 version. Waaaaaaaaaa. :crying_cat_face:

See my earlier post. Did you try quitting and relaunching?

1 Like

Tried quitting and relaunching. Tried rebooting iPad. Still not there. I’ll try again tomorrow.

2 Likes

It might be down to how often a particular app checks for new feeds. I thought I read somewhere that Apple’s podcast index acts as the master for the player apps. If that’s true then there are two possible delays - how long it takes for a new feed to get onto Apple’s index, and how long it takes for individual apps to reflect changes to that index.

My player app is set to check for updates every three hours, to check when the app is started, and to check a series whenever an episode in that series is completed. I don’t know what settings might be available in other apps.

1 Like

This is EXACTLY the case. There are a lot of apps out there that rely on Apple’s podcast list. It takes Apple time to list a new feed and then it takes these apps additional time to add the new feed after Apple has added it. For example, there is no way for me to get any new show into the Castbox, Downcast, Google Podcasts, or Overcast podcast listings because they pull them directly from Apple. (Google may pull from other sources too. That’s unconfirmed…but they have no direct submission.)

Just be patient…or add the feed to your favorite podcatcher manually. Here are the three video feeds you could add:
Video-LO: Smart Tech Today (Video)
Video-HI: Smart Tech Today (Video)
Video-HD: Smart Tech Today (Video)

3 Likes