Simple web host with GREAT security?

Aloha, I love Leo and have been a fan and listener since early KFI days. Ive called in a couple times and excited to be here but not sure where to post a website question? Back in the day IOWNUS web host was a sponsor so I signed up but now they have turned into a NIGHTMARE for me, ZERO security! I need a reference to a good simple web host that I’m not locked into with GREAT security?
Mahalo Buzz

Security is a broad term. What exactly are you looking for?

When you write “have turned into a nightmare for me” and “zero security”, was there a specific incident? A web host doesn’t magically solve common security issues such as an outdated WordPress installation with insecure plugins and weak passwords.

“IOWNUS” doesn’t seem to be a real hosting provider. It’s also hard to recommend a service when we don’t know what scripting language and database system you’re planning to use.

Edit: You’re probably referring to IONOS, formerly 1and1. The domain in the watermark of your avatar isn’t active anymore, but the Internet Archive redirects to:

You used to use IONOS MyWebsite, which is just a website builder. The only “insecure” part I can see is maybe the lack of HTTPS, but that seems to be simple to fix. In any case, both domains seem to be expired for now or you didn’t renew them.

Also, I couldn’t find any page on twit.tv that listed IONOS/1and1 as a former sponsor. There’s only a general recommendation in Soldering 101... with a DJI Drone and Coding 101 26 (Transcript). Maybe I’m missing something.

1 Like

If you just want Wordpress, you could get that direct from the source WordPress.com Pricing and Plans | Start Building Today

1 Like

Aloha,
TY for your response.
I’m a struggling artist who just needs a simple a website to show my work (I link to square for sales). I’ve been down for weeks and am looking for a reference to a secure web builder with good security so this can’t happen again! I’m not a coder looking for simple all in one solution.
I’ll try to be brief, yes wasn’t sure if I could mention IONOS? IONOS was a sponsor and that is why I signed up (way back). Purchased web builder and hosting package Website Tonight with no issues for years then was recently informed by IONOS my contact page was compromised and sending out malicious content?

QUOTE FROM IONOS-
“We have been notified that you’re IONOS website, contains or redirects visitors to malicious content, malware or phishing websites.”

Whoever is doing this is sending out malicious content using one of my domains but dot something else private.mydomain etc. I noted “I DON’T OWN THAT DOMAIN”! IONOS wasn’t listening and just shut me down. I called IONOS and after weeks of back and forth, re-explaining my situation to every new operator (asked for personal consultant many times never got one), requesting security to inform me what’s was going on, never could get a hold of security? Security sent me a few vague e-mails blaming me and or to contact my web host and clean any malicious content? I noted “YOU ARE MY WEB HOST”, that’s why I rely on your service to keep me safe! After weeks of back and forth I finally found someone who was semi helpful at IONOS and noted that web builder was old tech and they have new AI tech and talking me into a more secure IONOS web builder, so moved my 8 domains into this NEW more secure web builder? IONOS took my money and the new site was up for a day and they again locked me out for the same reasons and when asking WHY? IONOS still giving me the same vague reasons? And the funny part is IONOS asking me, who or why someone would do this too you??? So Im done with IONOS and want to move on but worried there is someone making complaints and or still messing with me and this could cary forward to a new service? I had IONOS shut down my original website and have not used any of the content and or clicked any of the e-mail links. I scan my laptop every day with Malwarebytes and had a Mac Genius scan also and 100% clean, so I know its not coming from me. I feel violated and don’t know where to go for help? I don’t know how to fix this, or find out who’s doing this (or really care). I just want to find somewhere safe to host my website with good security so this can’t happen again!

MUCH Mahalo for HELP…
Buzz

This looks like a job for Squarespace. From what you’re saying about how you use your site, it sounds like Squarespace target people just like you.

WordPress (as PHolder suggested) might be good as well.

1 Like

If it’s a subdomain of a domain that you own, then yes, you do own that domain and you are responsible for whatever content is being served there. You should double check your DNS records to be sure your domain hasn’t been hijacked.

1 Like

TY, No its fine, found network solutions with SiteLock Defend SSL, Malware Scanning, Auto Malware Removal but $500.00 a year cant really afford that but I guess I cant really afford not to? Was really looking for a more cost effective solution. Crazy out there, a simple website just wont cut it any longer?

What do those products actually do for you? What makes you think you need them? Sounds like a lot of marketing to me.

I’m not quite sure what you mean when you say you “found network solutions”. Did you verify that your DNS records are correct, and there are no subdomains listed that you don’t recognize?

As suggested by myself and a few others, services such as Squarespace or Wix are probably what you’re looking for. They offer a more guided approach to running a website. Those platforms let you focus on the design and content of the site while leaving the technical details abstracted behind the scene.

However, you’ll always need to maintain a level of competency when doing anything on the internet. Take some time to understand the basic components that go with running a website, such as your DNS registrar.

1 Like

Hello and TY for you response,
Checked and no DNS issues. in regards to “Sub Domains” I own 8 domains NONE have any issues I can see but some SCUM BAG has sent malicious content using part of my domains. Like I said BS.my domain.com THAT I DO NOT OWN! I own the domain but not the BS they put before or after! Im trying to find a cost effective solution and to be proactive so this doesn’t happen again! Simple web-hosts like ones recommended don’t offer ANY security or malware removal! All a SCUM BAG has to do is send a complaint and like IONOS which TOOK MY MONEY TWICE but SHUT DOWN my website because of a complaint from the SAME SCUM BAG sending the malicious content AND then making complaints about the malicious content THEY SENT! IONOS STILL hasn’t returned my calls and or e-mails! ONLY response Ive received is "Contact your web host and clean any malicious content? YET THEY ARE MY WEB HOST!!!

If the site they’re complaining about is something.example.com, and you own example.com, you technically own it. That’s why we’re asking you to check your DNS records.

If the site someone linked a web archive link to is your site, I noticed a login link at the bottom. Most likely, they added the bad content using that link after somehow finding your login info.

Switching to one of the hosts we’re suggesting doesn’t need malware removal, as you’ll be recreating the site from scratch.

2 Likes

It’s just the name of a provider that sells “malware removal” at 29$ per month.
https://www.networksolutions.com/sitelock/sitelock-overview

Besides malware removal, security features like a firewall and HTTPS are also offered by wordpress.com and Squarespace. It’s just not a paid upgrade. Security – Squarespace
and Keep Your Site Safe and Secure – WordPress.com Support.

You write:

But also:

How can you prevent “this” from happening again if you don’t know what to prevent? Are you sure “malware removal” is really what you need?

TY, for your response.
No I’m not sure of anything other than I need a secure host on a budget that wont dump me at the first sign of a “BAD GUY” knocking at the door. Was hoping for some suggestions and a solution to a really complicated problem from tech folk. I appreciate the input and 'll check the recommendations out.