Saving money - 5D mark IV

My wife and I have a studio in Northern Minnesota. We have always bought our cameras from a local vendor - or small regional vendor anyways. This will be the first time we have purchased a camera from an online retailer. That being said we are looking for a deal or best time to buy. We would like to purchase a 5D Mk IV - we are all in on the Canon Eco System - so changing to like sony is not an option - thanks!

1 Like

Canon, just like all camera manufacturers set the price on all their equipment. No matter where you look the price will be pretty much the same, the only saving you might get is by not paying any sales tax. If you are looking for a new one, I would recommend keeping an eye on black Friday, possible after Christmas or after a refresh of the Canon 5D line. Another option is used I would only stick to well established retailers i.e b&h, Adorama and Canon USA ( used/refurbished) . I would also suggest joining Canon USA mailing list too keep up to date on any sales they might have - best of luck to you
https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-5d-mark-iv-body-refurbished

2 Likes

have you heard any rumors about an upcoming 5D refresh?

Another idea set a Google alert for Canon 5D Mark IV

1 Like

great idea! I will set that up today!

1 Like

they put them on sale another $300 off

2 Likes

PhotoPlus Expo just finished in NY a few days ago. I think a lot of the major retailers have sales. Check out B&H Photo Video, Adorama, MidWest Photo, etc.
You may also look into the Canon mirrorless system. The EOS R, is similar to the 5D mkIV but it’s missing a few items. There are rumors that Canon is working on a pro class mirrorless camera. I currently have the 5D4 and I’m waiting for the Pro level mirrorless. I’ve used the EOS R and it’s a great camera. the autofocus is amazing. Canon is producing some amazing RF lenses for the mirrorless. We will probably not see many new EF lenses.

1 Like

The announcement of the R5 is exciting. I can’t wait to visit the Canon booth at WPPI in 2 weeks.

1 Like

Care to share more details? Anywhere near Ely? I get up that way at least once a year.

Or does 55746 give it away?

Yep we are in Hibbing. Love Ely though.

1 Like

I’ll be interested to see too. My son uses an r with the adapter to use the regular lenses. Reinvesting in r lenses would be cost prohibitive

1 Like

What kind of photography do you do?

Www.flomdesigns.com I do the sports stuff and boudoir. My wife does the rest

2 Likes

How much over a place like B&H is your local shop charging for a Mark IV? Im curious, living in a big city but growing up as a young photographer in a small city with limited funds.

I’ve used the EOS R with native RF lenses and EF lenses. The EF lenses operate just like they are on my 5D4, with no decrease in performance or speed. The adapters are great. The RF lenses is where Canon is investing their time to produce better lenses than the EF equivalents. I’ve used the Canon RF 28mm-70mm f/2 and the RF 50mm f/1.2. Both are great glass. Unfortunately they are huge too.

1 Like

I am a big fan of buying refurbished gear. I purchased my 80D refurbished from Canon. It was like new and has lasted for years.

2 Likes

I got to see the only development model in the US of the Canon EOS R5 body. If what Canon and all the rumors are true, this is going to be one great camera. New 45MP full-frame CMOS sensor, IBIS, 8K video, 12fps mechanical\20fps electronic, 5GHz WiFi, dual card slots, and new higher capacity battery.EOS_R5
Unfortunately, it was encased in glass so this was the closest I could get to it. Going to have to wait until more details and for it to come out in July. I’m selling my Sony glass and body. I’m still keeping my Canon EOS 5D mkIV, EOS 7D, and all my Caonon EF glass.

1 Like