Restore .bkf file in Win10?

I have a backup of patient data files (images) that I need to recover. I used the baked-in program in XP to backup thousands of retinal images. After a vendor’s technician installed a new computer on my camera, but before he could transfer the data, he DROPPED the drive on my hard tile floor and killed it. Now the only place that data lives is on an external drive’s bkf file that Windows10 can’t read. To be clear, and please correct me if I’m wrong, Windows allowed me to back up a file that Windows can’t open. A Google search finds applications that claim to fix this problem but I’m leery downloading from unknown sources. The vendor is attempting to have the drive recovered but I’d like the bkf files restored just in case. My backup process needs revamped, I know. It wasn’t broke so I didn’t fix it :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Well the EASIEST option is probably going to be to install VirtualBox and then install an old version of Windows XP into it so that you gain back the ability to read the file format. (You’ll note I just called this the easy option … sorry :sob: )

You can try the following option however:

I updated the link that was in that quote to point to where I believe this mdftar program currently exists in GitHub. The text there mentions it relying on a crashy program, which is why this is not my first suggestion.

So basically the process is to convert the file format from BKF to TAR file… and then use a program like https://www.7-zip.org/ to open the TAR file to get your files back.

There is a Windows 10-based procedure here:

It does require the installation of three files from a third-party site, though. I haven’t used this procedure and, other than verifying that the .cab file exists on that link, I can’t vouch for the files. However, it is a well-written explanation that looks easy to follow, and given the value of your files it might be worth trying.

Hasty edit: I would recommend making a copy of your .bkf files and attempting to restore from the copy. Leave the precious originals untouched in case anything were to go wrong.

The simplest way would be to install XP in a virtual machine and recover the files to a network drive.

Putting virtual box on the pc and running XP in the box, then either save to a network drive or a shared folder on the host.