Pentagon tells military personnel not to use at-home DNA kits

3 Likes

This leaves me curious. What are your personal opinions about this? I personally think that horse has already left the barn. Being ex military myself, when the Pentagon makes some pronouncement like this, I laugh. I can’t help but remember that this was the group which tried to make me get an anthrax vaccine when I was a contractor. Lucky for me I had been hired trough a maritime union, which pointed out that the members couldn’t be forced to get that shot.

2 Likes

I know there are many examples of unnecessary and anxiety provoking medical evaluations of people who received erroneous or misleading results from home dna kits.

2 Likes

This is one the biggest objections I have to the home DNA testing fad right now. The amount we don’t know about how our bodies work is astounding, and these companies want to throw that deep data at laypersons with impersonal “best guess” explanations.

Of course I also have privacy concerns. In the article I chuckled when 23 and Me stated they take the “utmost efforts” to protect consumer data. I’m sure there are Equifax C-levels who probably could have been quoted saying the same before that mess happened. However - I can’t stop my family from using them so it would seem that a good portion of my DNA is out there already. Oh well.

2 Likes