New monitor purchase

You did note that was the price for two, correct, yours listed at $200AUD each so
400AUD = 376.934CAD and this was $350CAD, so technically cheaper if my math holds. :wink:

1 Like

Yes… 350 cdn is 371 aud according to Google, which is why I said it is a little cheaper than in Aus as I paid 400 aud for two…

Oh, does Canada display prices with sales tax applied?

My mistake… I missed the word than… I thought you were saying it was cheaper there…

/me cleans his glasses

And not that it matters, but I did my money conversion at xe.com

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile: Is 350 CDN including sales tax? All prices in Australia include tax so the price that you see is the price that you pay. Well apart from things like cars and houses…

2 Likes

Ah well no, you probably have a better price then. LOL Each province has a sales tax, and the rate varies from around 6% to 10% and the federal tax, which may or may not be combined (they call it a harmonized tax,) is another 6%. So in Ontario, it is the harmonized sales tax of 13%. So if I add that in, we get to $395 Cdn, but on things like electronics, there is also an environmental disposal fee (we pre-pay for the eventual e-waste) of, I think, $5 for each monitor, so that’d bring it up to $405 Cdn… (405CAD = 429.550AUD)

EDIT: Oh, interesting. I went to see what the current fees were, only to find out they never considered it a tax, and they’ve already started winding down the program, so they have derated all the fees to $0. Weird.

1 Like

Aha! Maybe slightly better here then. GST is a federal tax here, set at 10%. The states don’t have their own sales taxes.

2 Likes

Lucky you. It is a federal tax here and is 19% on luxury goods - essentials like food are 7% (not chocolate, cake, biscuit, chips etc.), although due to COVID, the rates have been dropped until the end of the year to 17% and 5% respectively.

But as in Oz, all consumer prices must include the tax when displayed. Businesses get prices without the tax shown, because they can reclaim the tax.

2 Likes