New mobile carrier deals

I need to get a new mobile carrier plan, and see a lot of trade-in deals for new iPhones. I currently have an unlocked iPhone X. It seems these deals require an unlocked phone to trade-in, but the phone you get is locked for two-years. Any experience with these trade-in deals from mobile carriers? I have been eyeing up T-mobile or Verizon. Thanks!

2 Likes

For an unlocked/paid-off phone, you are always better off selling the phone (Swappa is best, or Gazelle if you want easier), buy a new one unlocked (or just keep the old phone, something like the iPhone X is still good), and then going to an MVNO like Red Pocket, Visble, Cricket, Mint Mobile, etc.

The trade-in deals with the main carriers are maybe sometimes worth it with a family plan and with workplace or other discount, but you will get better monthly plan rates with MVNOs, usually with greater transparency and less fees tacked on, and you aren’t locked in.

1 Like

What about Consumer Cellular? Seems like the plans are pretty competitively.

1 Like

Thanks! Ive looked at those plans and they ate priced fairly well. Ive always had AT&T since the early mid 2000s so the whole process is a little new for me

1 Like

If you are simply wanting to replace your carrier (and not the phone itself) the process is simple. I recently transferred from a ‘regular’ Verizon monthly plan to Mint Mobile prepaid; replace the Verizon SIM with the Mint SIM and launch the mint app - walks you thru the process which includes picking your plan and transferring your phone number. Easy peasey!

1 Like

Mint is a TMobile MNVO (basically a reseller). They’re cheaper because basically they have no branded stores/outlets and reduced support options. But question yourself how often you have needed those things. If you’re fairly self-sufficient then you could pay less for the same service. My friend in AZ switched from TMobile to Mint and has nothing but glowing things to say so far.

1 Like

@chorndog, so glad you started a thread like this one! It’s hard to follow the deals. What I can tell you is, people find them somehow. I talked to a T-Mobile employee the other day… They were telling me people will come in a get a promotional deal, 90 days into the deal they go to another company taking on their promo deal which pays off their T-Mobile phone, unlocks it, and gets them cash-back on the new network. That’s the stuff! I wish there was a site that just gave the abridged guy to such processe. But, if there was, the carriers would cut back for sure.
I am sad because I have a iPhone 11 Pro max through the Apple upgrade program on AT&T (which is great). I also have a One Plus 6T on T-Mobile, but they don’t have an upgrade program unless you wait for 24months. I really wanted to move to the 7T, but I can’t. Anyone up for a like-new 6T? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same, and I used this moment in time to get off the upgrade train and jump on more affordable Mint Mobile. I’ve got an unlocked iPhone X and an unlocked Galaxy S8, and I don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything. (It was Apple pushing the prices up and up that finally brought me here.) Last year was only the second time I’ve not upgraded my iPhone, and this is the first time I’ve ever not upgraded over a two year cycle.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I usually hand down all my tech to family when in this situation so I may consider other options. My mom has an iPhone 6 I gave her which needs upgrading since her watch will not give her the latest software. I have considered apples upgrade program, but prefer to buy upfront to avoid monthly fees. I guess some perks with carriers would be used like apple music with Verizon. I have much to ponder. :thinking:

2 Likes

Hmm…I’ve been getting a lot of spam from mint with no option to unsubscribe. Love the service, spam not so much.

1 Like

Oh, that’s not great. I’ll ask my friend if he sees the same thing.

I had a similar problem with a Canadian virtual operator (here we have a lot of false choice unfortunately, each major brand has a (or multiple) sub brands on their own network.) Anyway, they started calling me to try and offer me the “benefit” of moving from pre-paid to post-paid. This thing was, those calls were on network and not free minutes. When I asked them to stop, they said all I could do was mark their number as SPAM!! There’s some great customer service.

1 Like

To clarify, its email marketing spam from Mint themselves. I unchecked the option in account preferences months ago but the spam continues.

1 Like

My son was on Consumer Cellular for a while. We were very satisfied with them.

I plan on giving them a try when the Verizon plan is up. The pricing is good. It really boils down to coverage.

1 Like