New Facial recognition software

What do you guys think of this:

It is kinda scary, but we all know it is coming. It’s already being used many places, for various reasons. I guess no one will have anonymity in the future, which is a shame…

A few things to worry about, though:

It is interesting what happened to the reporter who wrote the story, when he had people run his photo thru the system…

We cannot change the future. But, I still personally do not like where all this is leading us.

4 Likes

I like that the EU is looking to ban facial recognition from public use for a 5 year period.

4 Likes

I don’t know what to say other than what was said in the article that this scares me on two levels. One false positives are likely and scraping the photos from social media is sketchy to say the least if not should be banned. This worries me

4 Likes

I’m not sure I agree with that - if you post photos on the web in a public forum then they’ve become public. If you’re uncomfortable with that then don’t post them publicly.

1 Like

I see your point and understand. I get it. I just feel the scraping is sketchy because it has an air of sneakiness for the sake of profit. A lot of people are naive thinking they are safe and using the services to keep in contact with family and friends. But I totally agree with you last line that, " if you’re uncomfortable with that then don’t post them publicly."

2 Likes

I disagree, they were often posted before facial recognition was a thing and even now, people are not posting them for facial recognition purposes, they are there for other people to see and enjoy, not to be scraped for unknown purposes. I think that they shouldn’t be used for such purposes without the person(s) in the picture giving consent.

3 Likes

That is another point, in parts of Europe, you can only post a picture online if you have the permission of the subjects of the photo. In other countries and much of the USA, AFAIK, you can photograph somebody and post it online, without their permission. These people most definitely haven’t given their permission for the photos to be used for facial recognition purposes, they probably don’t even know that photos of them are online!

My wife makes a point of always telling people pointing a camera in her direction, that they explicitly do not have her permission to upload any photos of her to the Internet.

4 Likes

This topic was one of the topics covered on TWIT yesterday

2 Likes

I have seen a few stories over the years that the US government has been taking and saving photos of people on social media for years. Unfortunately…

1 Like