Messaging app without a SIM?

I have a working 3aXL. What recommendations do you have for a messaging app that will work over wi-fi? Two constraints:

1. No Meta products
  1. If possible, can create an account without SMS verification.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions!

2 Likes

These days I only recommend one messaging app, Signal. The problem for your situation is that Signal requires a mobile phone number at the start–this is your identity. You could open the account on a phone with a phone number, and then use it on the phone without one, as it allows you to add up to 5 total devices on one account.

If opening the account without any phone number is a requirement, you’re going to find yourself limited, as most services seem to use this approach to prevent spammers and other maliciousness. If they don’t require the phone number as the identifier, they will most likely require a SMS verification step.

There’s always something like Discord… it’s technically IRC on steroids, and I don’t know what the requirements are for an account, but it might be worth investigating.

3 Likes

Threema is also very good and isn’t anchored to a phone number… But it is currently limited to audio calls only, whilst Signal offers video as well.

But, at the end of the day, you are limited to what your contacts use. If they already have a messaging app, you are best off using that, if you can. If you are starting a new contact group and getting them all to use the same app, then it is easier, you can get them all on-board.

1 Like

What kind of messaging do you need? If you need to be able to send SMS then Google Voice might be an option. I’m not 100% sure but I don’t think you need a phone number to verify. If you don’t need SMS then I’d agree that Discord is a good option.

1 Like

text now have both Canadian & US acct on different device’s used them for over 10 years now
started using text now on ipod touch 4th gen

1 Like

Thank you all for these responses. I now have a few options to try out!

1 Like