MBW 862: AI Steve Jobs

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

I’m sure Doc Rock wasn’t making an argument for ageism in tech when he was saying that Apple could fire people who were ‘long in the tooth’ and turn around and hire fresh-out-of-college developers for a fraction of the cost.

But, for the life of me, based on the context of the conversation - I can’t think of another interpretation.

2 Likes

Well it is ageism, but also financial reality… most people, the longer they are employed, the more their salary goes up. (Raises, promotions, bonuses are usually all tied to experience.) It’s a sad commentary on the modern economy that companies value lower cost over more experience.

1 Like

I’m also pretty sure it’s illegal. Difficult to prove, yes - but I’ve seen it done before.

1 Like

Well in Canada, yes, and possible elsewhere. In the US with all the “right to work” “nonsense” (because it has nothing to do with employee rights) they frequently have employment contracts that have wording like “the employer reserves the right to terminate your employment for any reason, or for no reason at all.”

IBM have been in court over this for about 5 years, now, in the USA.

In Europe, it would generally be cleared up much quicker. And, if they lose, they have to give the person their job back with their old salary & benefits and pay compensation.

Pretty sure Doc Rock wasn’t saying they SHOULD do it, only that they COULD

Ooops I completely misread the headline and thought maybe you were reporting a Verge article where Apple were claiming that Steve Jobs had created an instance of AGI and called it Tim Cook :grin:

1 Like

On that EU USB legislation, they’re not stopping you from innovating, are they? They’re saying all interfaces must support a certain spec of USB PD that works with standard cables and chargers. You can then add your own propriety charging solution in addition to that if you want.

1 Like

Just look at laptops, many have USB-C and a proprietary connector. Most of our Dells have both, although they are usually docked, so the proprietary charge rarely gets used.

1 Like

Yep, although this was more about phones where less space for multiple ports. But some brands implement their own proprietary fast charging (Oppo/OnePlus comes to mind) in addition to USB PD over the same connector. Samsung not 100% sure, but think they’re just USB PD now.

1 Like

Did anyone else get a warning from the link to Doc Rock’s rig recommendation? — AVG flagged it as blacklisted… just FYI
Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 10.53.23 AM

Threat “URL:Blacklist”
To be honest, that block sounds like someone maliciously submitted his URL to some public block list out of spite.