Mars Perseverance Landing

The Perseverance (what an appropriate name!) rover is scheduled for landing this week on MARS! Anyone else going to be watching live on Thursday? I bet NASA’s YouTube stream will top 1 million viewers easily.

1 Like

I will definitly be.

I’ll be watching with a group from The Planetary Society and our Society CEO Bill Nye. We had Planetfest 2021 this weekend and the landing on Thursday will be the last event

1 Like

@Computeforloot @knewman Science Briefing starts in 5 minutes.

2 Likes

Preview Briefing in 5 minutes and Mars Sample Return briefing at 3pm ET: https://youtube.com/nasajpl/live

What a fascinating vehicle. The cameras look amazing! Particularly thought Sylvestre Maurice’s segment of the science overview was interesting, he’s a great presenter.

It’s almost time T-20ish minutes

So excited. Watching NASA TV. We live in amazing times!

2 Likes

Touchdown confirmed!! So cool. These folks sure are good at this.

It’s mostly automated since it has a 12 minute light time. Yup that was great

Blows my mind. Telemetry and images back already from over 200 million miles away. And my WiFi doesn’t work at the bottom of the garden :slightly_smiling_face:

Deep Space Network (DSN)

2 Likes

3 Likes

I know we’ve got some photogs in the forum here, I wonder if anyone would try their hand at working with some of the raw image data from the rover? Might make for a cool HOP episode @ant_pruitt

1 Like

Absolutely amazing. What an amazing time to be alive.

Absolutely incredible! We humans really are amazing creatures when we concentrate on science and technology instead of pissing on one another over trivialities

1 Like

Absolutely, very well said :+1:

1 Like

Here’s a link to raw image repository: Images from the Mars Perseverance Rover - NASA Mars

1 Like

Yes, we certainly do, and we are, all of us, quite amazing creatures when we put aside our petty and mundane squabbles and “reach for the stars!”

Much better images are coming. Those were taken with the driving cam. And, in order to get them so quickly, I imagine they were very small.

1 Like

I heard they had some commercial Go-Pro style cameras rolling during the landing! Hoping they’ll be showing some of the hi-res imagery at this 15:00 conference in a few minutes (4) NASA Science Live: We Landed on Mars - YouTube