Loving Android TV

I picked up a cheap Android TV box during the Black Friday sale here in Australia. It runs a bit of a customised UI as it is from the largest pay TV provider here (don’t need a subscription with them), has limited storage and runs Android 7, but absolutely love Android TV. Apps I could not get on the Play Store I side-loaded with Aptoide - Amazon Prime being one, and Netflix (but an update provided Netflix since then). Responsiveness is so much better than my Samsung smart TV, I really don’t know why I didn’t do this earlier. An upgrade will be a Shield TV I think, but the new ones are not available in Australia yet.

2 Likes

The Shield TV is a class above any other Android TV box I have used. I have this Chinese Q10 thing by a company HiMedia that has a drop in HDD and I thought it would be great, but the SW is just crashy and gross and the UI is not really meant to navigate from the couch. When I got the Shield TV Pro 2019, it has some of the same issues, but it was much better throughout, and faster and the remote is great.

The Nvidia streaming gaming is kinda neat too, not gonna lie. I’ve decided to replay the Harry Potter LEGO games because that’s included for free.

2 Likes

My box is made by Technicolor, but branded Foxtel Now Box. Has built in DVB turner. I’ve found this to be surprisingly reliable. Disney Plus works very well on it.

Nvidia streaming service not available here…

1 Like

ShieldTV is probably the best Smart TV experience out there, the only thing missing is AppleTV+ which they probably will never get with the NVidia/Apple fallout.

2 Likes

+1 for the shield TV. Excellent for Plex, Netflix, prime and also the catch-up services here in the UK.

I’ve played a few games on the Nvidia streaming service and while they play fine they tend to be old games so hardly used.

1 Like

+1 for Nvidia’s Shield product. In front of that I’m also a big fan of Caavo, it integrates very well with Android TV.

/me heads off to learn something new…

EDIT: Oh that… Yeah I remember that hardware, just not the brand. I thought it was some streaming software you were referring to.

The mi box is the best android tv box for his price, for under 35$ you get a very good product, that have the latest updates from Xiomi.

1 Like