Let's talk about Opencore Legacy Patcher for older Macs

Hi folks,
What do you all think about this software from github, opencore legacy patcher that can allow a newer Mac OS to be installed on older hardware ??? Is this really legit ? Does anyone know what Apple is saying about this ?

A lot of retro computer enthusiasts use it. It’s legitimate, Apple just won’t support an OS that’s installed on older hardware. Apple hasn’t sold MacOS for years, so it’s not as if you’re stealing the OS.

I’ve used it on a 2010 iMac. It certainly works and is a nice community project. You do need to be very aware of what your machine is capable of in regards to graphics, that seems to be the biggest differentiator of what OS will run on the machine. If I recall (it’s been a few years), it is pretty technical to install.

While I do understand Apple’s cut off points (64-bit, graphics, etc), it angers me that there definitely seems like like they want the absolute perfect experience, and if your machine can’t do some new ML photos feature, you also don’t deserve a simple password sharing feature either.

this is good to know. thanks for the advice.