Lawmakers forcing smartphones to have the same charging port

I agree, for the most part, but like the standardisations we do have. Just imagine if fuel nozzles weren’t standard! That is essentially the same thing and we are seeing the stupidity and chaos of the EV manufacturers; they are only now starting to standardise.

One big change since the introduction of the last attempt by the EU to standardise on micro-USB is that Apple has lost a lot of market share. They were the major player back then, now they have, what, 16% market share worldwide and in Europe maybe a little lower. I believe the USA is the last market where they are still a majority player.

I agree, but reluctantly and with a heavy heart borne of dissatisfaction with private enterprise, it’s just that I do differ from the market maximalist party-line that government’s rotten and can do no right ever, however I see neither as less prone to the same pitfalls regarding innovation itself, merely that government affords opportunities the market does not, while the market can tend to ignore the best solutions (again, not that government therefore always necessarily surfaces the best ones, but on balance I think impedes them less and impels them more, while still impeding in some ways and impelling less than it could in others).

1 Like

Given how slowly most government standards evolve, I find it quite encouraging that after five years, an amendment is being proposed to reflect changes in technology.

2 Likes

Along these considered thoughts…

1 Like

Update - apparently - the first vote has passed: