Kilroy Likeness

Why am I always reminded of Kilroy when Jeff peers out from his lower third?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilroy_was_here

4 Likes

I always like to think of Jeff as the personification of an 80 year old meme.

4 Likes

Man 80 years go by fast. I remember air raid patrols checking up and down the street for anyone not observing black out drills!

1 Like

:flushed: :flushed: :flushed: :flushed: :flushed:

Wait a minute. How old are you? 2020 - 80 = 1940.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/archives/a-look-back-blackout-drills/collection_24a3cae6-f766-5a4f-b68e-4005b7596e64.html#1

84 last time I checked!

5 Likes

Ah, Chads. I haven’t seen them in a long time.

We actually had a burger bar in the town where I grew up in the UK called Chad’s, with a huge Chad drawing in the window. :slight_smile:

I don’t watch the video, so I haven’t seen Jeff peering over the lower third.

1 Like

Here you go…

1 Like

It looks like it his own fault for having such a pompous title! :smiley:

It is bad enough when Leo introduces him as Jeff Jarvis, The Leonard blah blah blah… I usually skip 30 seconds when he is introduced…

Is it a legal requirement to have the full title like that or is it a vanity / insecurity thing, that most US shows go with such long titles (I’m not having a go at Jeff here, but it seems pretty common that US video footage in the news over here always seems to have the persons complete CV on the screen). Over here, on TV, you would just get “Prof. Jeff Jarvis, City University of New York” (or just CUNY).

Edit: Also, due to the contrast in that image, it looks like his hair is chiselled out of marble, like a Abe Lincoln statue. He looks very serious.

I can’t tell if this is a serious question or not. It’s just a bit they’re doing.

I think it’s done more out of humor.

1 Like

That’s what I meant by a bit.

1 Like

Now I won’t be able to un-see Jeff’s hair any other way :grin:

I meant that seriously. When we get bits of US TV coverage over here, there is often an overly long title to go with the name. I was wondering if there was a certain reason why they do that. It might be that Leo and Jeff are having a bit of fun, but it is often the same on news shows.

1 Like

My memory may be at fault, but I seem to remember a brief exchange between Leo and Jeff about the University preferring titles to not be abbreviated, so I assumed that that the massive lower third was a joke based on that.

2 Likes

LOL, good shot Karsten!!!