Just so this topic isn't so lonely

The first time I ran across the name Andy Ihnatko was as a contributor to some of the most hilarious user-generated captions for The Dysfunctional Family Circus. The owner of the site would scan one of Bil Keane’s sickeningly heartwarming cartoons and put it up, and invite the public to make up their own captions, and early on Andy submitted some of the most twisted and hilarious.

Even though it was clearly a protected work of parody, the cartoon’s publisher threatened legal action trying to force it to close. There were a bunch of lawyers among the readers of the site eager to take it all the way to the Supreme Court if necessary, but in November of 1999, it shut down after 500 cartoons.

4 Likes

I love Andy. He’s delightfully long-winded, a master of metaphor and auteur of analogy.

8 Likes

Agreed. He’s one of a kind

2 Likes

Not to be contrarian, @gaffa, but you’ve mis-spelled his name! The “h” is the 2nd letter, not the 3rd.

What I appreciate most about Andy is his insistence that technology be accountable to those it may effectively (even if indirectly) disenfranchise.

3 Likes

And he somehow does it in a cheerful, approachable manner.

2 Likes

I fixed it. Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

If you can spell it without checking, you are a true fan…

Enjoy!

2 Likes

The column at the back of MacWorld was where I first discovered Andy’s wit :slight_smile: Later I was delighted to find him on MacBreak Weekly and other TWiT podcasts.

2 Likes