Is it worth upgrading to a Pixel 4?

My reason for not wanting pixel 4 is lack of fingerprint reader. Face unlock isn’t necessarily a negative but so far most apps such as banking, security, etc are not set up for face but I can unlock them with fingerprint. Maybe once these apps get updated and it works properly almost 100% of the time then I will consider it.

1 Like

I wonder what and if Google will release for a pixel 4a?

I need to agree with lack of a fingerprint reader. I had blindly assumed that the Face Unlock used the same APIs and would work instead. I am finding it more and more annoying having to revert to PINs when I used to use fingerprint. Not going to return the phone, but it is annoying.

1 Like

fingerprint readers are tried and true. they have faults like no 4th amendment protection, but they are fast and widely used by developers so they work pretty much everywhere. I have nothing against face unlock but until it is widely used by apps for authentication, it is annoying the fingerprint reader isn’t there also. the only reason it isn’t there is to cut some manufacturing costs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Im not worried about the whole 4th amendment deal with fingerprint reader as I have nothing to hide per say from the authorities. My concern is just it was enough to keep your everday person from getting into my phone. Until face unlock works perfectly or near ose to it, I won’t be buying phones with that as only option.

same here. and I use a cheap burner phone with no fingerprint or face technology when I travel internationally. I recently added a burner laptop for this too since my MBP has touchID. One option to thwart someone unlocking the phone with your face while you are asleep is to reboot it right before you go to bed but don’t unlock it. This way it would still ring if called and your pre-set alarms would go off, but after first boot your pin code is required. One day the tech will be good enough to tell when a person is asleep / eyes closed etc. and not unlock the phone.

Well put! I have a 2XL as well, and do not intend to upgrade.

1 Like

Absolutely…yes… I’ve had mine for a week and I love it… don’t believe the technical talking heads…it’s a great phone and the XL battery is very good !!

Since we only have one product to go off… likely a Spring/Summer launch. Or maybe coincide with the Samsung S11 launches just to throw a nice budget option against flagships that aren’t Google’s own.

Frankly, from a P2 owner, I don’t feel compelled to upgrade. But I’m also happy with the photo quality of the P2. I want the telephoto, but not that much. And generally still enjoy taking photos with my dedicated camera anyway. The only reason would be to get better battery life, but even that may be questionable since I want the smaller phone, heh.

I was very close to pre-ordering the pixel 4. Only 64Gb of storage is fine for me as I don’t have too many apps and all my photos go to google photos and dropbox syncs them to my server so I don’t need to store them long term on my phone.

It was the battery life that stopped me ordering it, I think the early reviews will tell us the real story but on paper the battery size was a worry, I hate not being able to get through the day on a single charge. The XL was just a bit more than I wanted to pay. Looks like a great phone otherwise.

1 Like

I’m happy with the 4XL, lack of fingerprint reader aside. Battery performance is good. My wife is very happy with hers.

1 Like

Well Google is quick to put the Pixel 4 on sale… Not quite clear if that’s a strategy to get its numbers up or if they’re worried because the numbers aren’t already high enough.

1 Like

You have a much better case for switching if you truly NEED a new phone. You will get some sort of a trade-in value with the Pixel 2 (not sure how much) though compare against Black Friday deals on the Pixel 4 that are expected to be around $200 discount. Upgrade from the 3 is totally unnecessary, but from the 2, that makes more sense to me. Also, consider that maybe the Pixel is unnecessary when you can get SO much from the OnePlus 7 Pro/7T. Such a wonderful value. And value is NOT what I think of when I think of the Pixel 4 XL.

Make sure to check out tonight’s All About Android. Flo and I will be sharing our “three weeks in” reviews of the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL.

2 Likes

Looking forward to listening to the “3 weeks in” take by @JasonHowell and @ohthatflo on my commute tomorrow. I’ve been thinking about replacing my Essential PH-1 and the Pixel 4/4xl is on my radar. Still unsure I want to spend that kind of money, even with the upcoming Black Friday discount…

Have also been looking at the OnePlus 7t … seems like it’s a great value and if there’s any sort of Black Friday deal …

If you have an iPhone just close your eyes

Took advantage of their Black Friday deals and purchased a OnePlus 7 Pro (NOT the 7t). I’ve been using it for a little over a week and have been impressed with the performance and feel of the phone. Price was a factor, but I opted for the 7 Pro over the 7t because of the better storage, screen, and (in my opinion) camera arrangement.

I’m sure I’ll miss the speed at which Essential pushed out security and OS updates, but I’m encouraged by the recent track record that OnePlus has of getting updates out within a month or two of the official release.

If anyone is picking up a Pixel 4 / 4XL at the Google store for the Black Friday $200 off special (available now), I have another $50 off promo code that they sent me for buying early (sucker tax I guess). If you are definitely going to use it, shoot me a message here and I’ll send you the code.

Full disclosure: If the code gets used, I also get a $50 store credit, so I have some motivation for trying to hand this one off…besides trying to help out the AAA community. :grinning:

1 Like