IOS 591: Apple's Health & Safety Features

We’ve changed so much in our environment in the last 30 years that could have a profound impact on all sorts of individual cardiovascular factors. Dietary changes include too many calories, too many calories from carbs and simple sugars, addition of unnatural trans fats to many processed foods (which depletes Vitamin K2), huge additions of dietary fructose (which can undermine liver function), etc. The Blind Watchmaker would have to crank very hard to adapt to all these changes. :grimacing:

We used to get huge amounts of infrared light daily, but reductions in our time outdoors, shifting to “efficient” LED lighting that generates nothing in the IR spectrum, and “efficient” IR-insulating glass leaves us severely deficient on our IR uptake. The video and science paper I noted in my iOS #590 comments points out that this IR deficiency can severely limit the antioxidants (!!!) in our mitochondria. Evolution has barely had a generation to provide any adaptations to these environmental changes; this IR-fueled source of antioxidants has been wired in our genetic ancestors for a very long time. Where would evolution find an alternative source of antioxidants? If some effective mutation actually happened, it would take thousands of years for the change to spread through our species.

I don’t think evolution is gonna help us. IMHO, we need to shift back our diet and other environmental factors to something more supportive of our design.

One question for @RosemaryOrchard: do you think that the Apple Watch is a superior solution to the monthly fee “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” services? These devices are “free”, but providers charge ~$30/month for the service.