Iain Thompson expressions

Being a fellow Brit it is wonder when Iain is on the show, and it’s great that he gets away with calling people a ‘W@nker’.

I really think we need more Iain Thompson.

16 Likes

Another Brit fan here. One of my favourite Twit ‘regulars’.

“When America comes back (to the Commonwealth), after a suitable period, it’ll be all of us”

12 Likes

I learn all my Britishisms from watching Corrie.

1 Like

Oh really i am sorry you should not have to put up with awful TV like that.

1 Like

Iain is a fantastic contributor and always makes the episodes he is on hilarious and a ton of fun to listen to.

I love how salty he is about government and his quips about America rejoining the British empire.

9 Likes

I’ve been watching since the early 1960s when Gayle was a teenager in pigtails.

1 Like

Agreed! Fellow Brit / Scot here, and I love the way he shifts the tone. Not that I don’t love all you American hosts, too - but a bit of British / The Register cynicism does make me smile.
Ooh, and talking of Europeans, when’s Patrick Beja coming back on? I do love Patrick…

2 Likes

Nothing to do with Patrick’s sexy accent then! :rofl:

1 Like

Ha, I live in France, French accents are everywhere :slight_smile:

Talking of which, if you understand French then it’s really worth listening to Patrick’s podcast, Le Rendez-vous Tech. It’s one of those podcasts that always has me telling people “I was listening to this podcast the other day, and they said the most interesting thing…”

Erm no I was never very good!

I love accents, so the recent This Week In Tech with Ian and Lexy was an extra treat!

2 Likes

I love Iain Thompson’s snarkiness… it’s refreshingly real.

f29

2 Likes

Ian Thompson’s so quintissentially British that I’m not entirely convinced that he isn’t secretly an American and just really, really good at accents and committed to parody. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Hopefully soon we’ll have the ability to translate podcasts :grin:

1 Like

I laughed so hard at that comment. Iain snark at its best.

3 Likes

Being a Brit, living in Germany, it is great when they have a European guest in the shows, it sort of balances out the US-centric view of many subjects.
I just wish they’d get a German guest in to counter Jeff Javis. Living in Germany, it winds me up every time he starts speaking as if he is an authority on Germany. He isn’t. What he says has little or no correlation to what is actually happening in Germany and among typical German people. Possibly because he only gets to meet technically literate and wealthy / influential people at most of his meetings in Germany. It certainly doesn’t correlate to “normal” people.
Anyway, back on topic, I love Iain’s style and his pithy humour and I’ve been an El Reg reader since it started in the 90s.

2 Likes

I love his phrase “The Four Horsemen of the Infopacylpse” to describe the excuses to get average people to surrender their digital rights.

2 Likes

Even though he spells his name with too many “I”'s, Iain is one of my favorite guests. He is also the reason that I started The Register every day. They have the greatest headlines.

3 Likes

The Register’s headlines sometimes turn my brain into a pretzel when I read them in Feedly. Leslie Knope would make a good editor for them.