How many monitors? A survey

I use 2 monitors at all times

I use a 49 inch 32:9 screen by DELL which equates to two 27 inch screens side by side. At times, this feels like the computer is working me. Then I switch to the simplicity of my 14 inch Thinkpad and everything appears more manageable. To me, the sweet spot is the 21:9 screen by DELL.

1 Like

If you want to sell that one cheap, let me know.

1 Like

Would definitely do, but the shipping cost might cross our plansā€¦ :wink:

Honestly, though, given the experience with the format, I have learned that it appears to be a very niche use case and I could not recommend it for many people:

Most UIs are not optimised for readily wide screens and tend to push control elements into the corners of the screen. Feels like watching a tennis match at times. This is especially true since I need to sit pretty close to the monitor to be able to read text at 100% scaling comfortably but for that, the screen is not curved enough - so you end up not only rotating your head but shifting your whole upper body to your window if itā€™s further away from the centre (- imagine the effort!) Best window manager for this out of the box was Gnome or KDE which allows configuring the width of the main menu bar. As far as I know, Windows does not do that. Also, many window managers are not terribly smart about cleverly using the space available and some apps donā€™t save prior positioning so youā€™re rearranging frequently.

For gaming, the immersion is better but the resolution considerably taxes most GPUs. My 1070 is struggling at times, which is perfectly fair.

Itā€™s an interesting experiment and it does have its upsides - like the desktop really feeling like a desk top and not like an airplane tray table for once. Itā€™s worth to check out as an experiment, but there is a sense of running errands with a 40 ton truck sometimes. Which reminds me that this might be the right tool but I might be the wrong target group.

To circle back to the main thread: I wonder whether screen formats might simply have to be tried out to see what people come up with.

2 Likes

Just saw you live in Munich. Ha!

When Iā€™m using two 27" monitors, I give each open app 1/2 the screen.
Totally understand the 49" not being curved enough. I have my two 27" monitors angled quite a bit.

I have four 24" monitors, and could use about two more.

You win. Of course at some point mounting them becomes the issue.

1 Like

Yeah, once you surpass 4 monitors, mounts get expensive!

1 Like

I use 1 monitor but a 27" at home and a 36" 4K monitor at work, more screen real estate is better, (which is what multiple monitors are all about), as for multi tasking people have mixed up the terms, when did computer science at uni 30 odd years ago the word meant context shifting which some of us do better than others, it never meant multi processing which humans donā€™t really do.

I walk around reading books all the time, I stop to cross streets etc, itā€™s easy!!

5 Likes

when did computer science at uni 30 odd years ago the word meant context shifting which some of us do better than others, it never meant multi processing which humans donā€™t really do. I walk around reading books all the time, I stop to cross streets etc, itā€™s easy!!

Thatā€™s a very useful thought - multi-processing vs. context shifting. Thanks for that! Working on a number of projects in parallel and trying to explain to others what I am trying to learn by doing so finally has a name: becoming better at context shifting.

2 Likes

3 screens
2 NEC EA 244wmi Multisync
1 Laptop screen using a USB-C Hub

Laptop screen for alerts, email, calendar display
monitor 1; distractions
monitor 2 work
:slight_smile: