How do you feel about Google as your bank?

• I trust Google to get it right
  • I trust Google to get it right, but cancel it in two years for lack of adoption
  • What could possibly go wrong? Imagine getting your email hacked and your bank account emptied all at once.

0 voters

1 Like

I don’t think its a good idea, Google should just stick to what there doing now. Plus another problem is how long would it last, would they kill it after a year or two years? You just never know when Google will kill something and especially dealing with my money, its not good. lol

2 Likes

Agreed. They can provide the back-end services that runs banking, but they should stay out of banking (the bank I am with is a digital only bank, but uses Google cloud to run back-end systems).

I’m pleasantly surprised (so far) by the results of this poll. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sure they’ll do it right, Wallet was a great product until they neutered it. I give them 5 years until they get bored and send out the “we’re pulling the plug to make your experience better” face-saving emails.

I really don’t have any security concerns beyond those I have with a normal bank. I’d trust a Google platform a bit more in fact, given that they allow you to use real 2FA and not a sorry email/SMS-based half measure like most banks and CUs.

2 Likes

I’d go for it if I could get an interest bearing account with a small initial deposit that actually has a good interest rate. Good luck on that, ay?

Google already collect enough data about us, without them following us around with our payment transaction details.

I’ll stick to my bank app, thanks all the same. It work just like Google Pay, but it is debited directly from my bank account, I don’t have to keep track of yet another “credit card” balance and the information is only held by my bank, who are legally not allowed to share it with anyone (German law).

3 Likes

That statement should have been one of the choices in the poll. It’s definitely the one I would have selected.

3 Likes

I’d rather have a chip and that’s not going to happen if I can help it.

So they want our sensitive private medical data, and now they also want us to use them as our bank?

Basically they want you to become an unpaid employee (because slavery is illegal) :wink:

1 Like

At least I feel Google would be on top of good 2 factor authentication for the bank account (probably just using my existing google id). My only reservation is not having a physical building I can walk into. I’ll definitely give them a look.

3 Likes

No kidding. That is a deal killer for me.

My ex wife uses a phone app to snap a photo of the check, and it deposits. I just do not like to do that. I still go into the bank to make a deposit. I guess I am old school

How do I feel about that? :scream::scream::scream::scream:

1 Like

That’s the one/only positive I can see about this, and it would probably be a good selling point for them. Traditional banks are way behind the times with two-factor, at least here in Canada.

2 Likes

I stopped using Google about a year ago – mail, photos, music, maps, storage – and switched to the equivalent Apple service. I do not feel that Apple is perfect by any means. Tim Apple’s subservience to Trump and Xi Jinping is deeply offensive. However, at Google my data was the product and the source of their revenue, at Apple hardware is the revenue source and there is little evidence that they exploit personal data.
The idea of using Google as a bank is laughable. The idea of a Facebook currency is sinister. My (traditional) bank may collect excessive fees for every simple transaction but at least I’m reasonably confident that it is too technologically incompetent to misuse my data.

2 Likes

Amen, glad to see another person here who gets it :slight_smile: I ditched my Google account about 18 months ago and finally went totally Google-free on search a few weeks back after my partner introduced me to Smartpage. (DuckDuckGo just wasn’t cutting it, sorry to say.) Like you said, Apple is far from perfect and has some pretty offensive/immoral positions and associations, but at least surveillance capitalism isn’t their modus operandi/raison d’etre…yet.

1 Like

I tried Smartpage but, until recently, have preferred Brave. Unfortunately, Brave’s iOS app has suddenly exhibited a number of errors, in particular, a failure to sync bookmarks. I still use Google Maps and Google Flights in my browser but as I’m not logged in to Google and given Brave’s security I believe that I’m not tracked. For reasons beyond comprehension, Apple Maps doesn’t appear to have a web implementation.

2 Likes