HOT 170: M3 Max MacBook Pro Review

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

Interesting about the screen. I am currently using an M1 MacBook Air at work, because my ThinkPad finally died and the MBA was sitting around gathering dust, so I decided to use that, instead of order a new Dell Latitude.

The MBA screen is head and shoulders better than the Latitudes and ThinkPads we have.

That was always the case with our standard issue work laptops though. Displays were the cheapest available, dull and low res. Most people’s home laptops had better screens TBH

Our laptops all cost about the same as a MacBook Air, but have plastic cases and bad screens…

1 Like

Ours were a bit cheaper per seat than a MBA, but it was all outsourced, so you paid for a supported device rather than the cost of the hardware

The better screen is a subtle difference but it’s there. And, for me, it’s worth it. Same with the speakers.

My only regret is that I didn’t max out the memory. As I watch the memory management of the Macbook Pro I realize it’s very aggressive in using every bit of memory available, no matter what I’m doing, which should mean more RAM = more speed. I’ve never seen a system suck up so much RAM.

I’m on my Macbook Air right now (with 24GB of RAM) and it’s using 84% with Firefox, Kitty, Slack, Messages, Fantastical, and Cardhop running. When I close everything but Firefox and the Terminal it drops to 78%. macOS uses all the RAM it can, and that’s a good thing!

1 Like

I have an 8GB MBA at work, 90% used with Firefox, Safari, Microsoft Teams, Microsoft RDP Manger, Terminal, Parallels, WoA 11, Outlook for Windows, TeamViewer, TeamViewer Manger.

Surprisingly, with all of that, it still runs smoother than my old ThinkPad with 16GB RAM.

And what kind of wizardry is needed to swipe between MacOS and Windows desktops? I have an M1 MBA 8 GB memory running v19 Parallels Desktop for Mac and Sonoma 14.1.1

Use Mission Control to create a space for Parallels to run in, running full screen. You can just 3/4-finger swipe between macOS and Windows then.

1 Like

I just run parallels in coherence mode on my 44” 4K monitor, so everything is displayed on a single desktop.

1 Like

I added the second desktop by using F3 to launch Control Center and then drag my Parallels Window onto that second desktop. Nothing happens when I use 3-finger swipe left to right. 3-finger swipe up gives preview of both desktops.

Odd. Always been on by default on my Macs. Check the trackpad gesture settings are turned on…

Use trackpad and mouse gestures on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Finally tweaked the appropriate Trackpad settings and all works now. Thank you Mr. @Jamze

1 Like

Apologies for not explaining that. It’s generally how I use a Mac. I go full screen on all apps and three finger swipe between them. It’s just my personal preference but it works nicely with Windows.