HOT 130: Sony a7C Review

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

@ant_pruitt please, when reviewing nice expensive toys, try to make sure to mention the [current at time of review] price very early in the introduction. I have no budget for a nice camera like this… and though it may be rude, I would skip or tune out a review for something too expensive to fit my available budget. For others in my same frame of mind, it appears it’s $1800US Sony announces $1,799 A7C compact full-frame mirrorless camera - The Verge

1 Like

Hi! Here are my comments.

1. The A7C is far better than the ZV-1 for video because of the full frame sensor. You can get beautiful depth of field that the ZV-1 simply isn’t capable of. The ZV-1 sensor size is only 13.2x8.8mm this is teeny tiny compared to the sensor in the A7C. It will be terrible in low light in comparison to the A7C. Saying that the image quality is “slightly” better on the A7C is a massive understatement, I would say completely incorrect. The ZV-1 shouldn’t even be being compared with the A7C. The ZV-1 is not even an interchangeable lens camera so I don’t know why you would even include it as a comparison in the video. This really comes off as an uninformed video by including this.

2. The autofocus on the A7c is much improved over the A7III. There is no video time limit on the A7C while the A7III is limited to 30 minutes at a time. You’re completely off base saying that “every single spec” is the same. You did not do enough research on the A7C. The flip out screen is a HUGE deal compared to the LCD on the A7III.

3. Nobody is going to hold the camera with their hand for vlogging, and the kit lens isn’t what you would use for that anyway. You would be purchasing a 20mm or something to that effect along with the handle that connects to the tripod mount. Saying Sony missed the mark is completely incorrect here.

To be completely blunt, you should take the video down and re-do it because it comes off as appearing that you do not know what you’re talking about when it comes to photography. Sorry for the harsh words but I made an account specifically to post this comment. Hope you guys can get it straightened out!

1 Like

thanks for watching and sharing your input. :fist_right:t5:
And no, I won’t take this episode down. I stand by my findings and opinions.

2 Likes

Understood. :fist_right:t5:
THX, @PHolder

Look here for what that lens actually looks like when held vlogging style. You had yours set to APS-C mode or something. There’s not really a nice way to say you don’t know what you’re doing, but that is what is going on here.