HOP 121: Adobe Lightroom Alternative

Beep boop - this is a robot. A new show has been posted to TWiT…

What are your thoughts about today’s show? We’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

Hi. This won’t play in Pocket Casts for me :-1:t2: I think before this was because the video file was large, which crashes the app when it tries to open it? Can stream OK though :slightly_smiling_face:

Great to get some intros to non-Adobe stuff though, thanks @ant_pruitt . Any more on the way? Luminar I use a lot. Don’t trust the DAM though as I’ve had too many library corruptions and had to start over.

Still looking at what they’ve put into Neo. One nice feature is they have a tablet/phone app that mirrors what you are editing. I guess you could have another display you were optimising for? Also makes sharing your finished pics easy, rather than having to export.

Main downside of Neo for me is performance. It can get slow when you are working with RAW. Move a slider and you have to wait several seconds to see the effect.

2 Likes

Very nice introduction to Luminar Neo.

1 Like

I found that slowness came on some of the AI tools. Otherwise it was fairly peppy with canon raw. THANKS for watching. I’m always getting suggestions, so I’ll try them when I can.

1 Like

THX, sir. Hope you’re doing well. :fist_right:t5:

1 Like

Thanks for hosting this show, Ant. You always bring a down to earth approach to explaining things. Much appreciated.

2 Likes

Ah THANK YOU. I do my best :relaxed:

My 2015 MacBook Pro didn’t help I think. Odd, I’ve always thought with its i7, a decent amount of RAM and SSD it would be pretty future-proof. So trying something different.

Finding a ‘360’ style Windows laptop with a pen is excellent for editing pics on your lap. This is a Samsung Book2, but MS Surface, Lenovo etc. would be similar. Very impressed so far and much quicker than the old MBP.

1 Like

Ooooooh. Niiiiiice. I love a stylus for brushing in post processing

1 Like

Maybe I’ll stick a review here once I’ve used it for a few weeks. A keeper though I reckon. Don’t have room for a desktop or big display at home, and also wanted something I could use on trips, make use of the downtime on flights for example and arrive home with pics ready to share rather than the usual excuse ‘oh, I’ve got to sort through them, first’ :slightly_smiling_face:…and then don’t get round to it.

So wanted…

• small/light. Even a 15" laptop puts me off sticking it in my carry on
  • touch and pen support
  • SD card reader
  • PC rather than a tablet so I can use all the existing apps and have decent file mgt
  • fast as poss
  • OLED display

This Book2 Pro 360 ticked all the above and came in cheaper than a MacBook Air (which has none of the touch/pen stuff). Pretty impressive IMO.

13" Samsung Galaxy Book 2 Pro 360 WiFi Laptop | Samsung UK

1 Like