Hey itsa me, Leooo

Thanks Sarahs… Yeah, I remember seeing Leo on my local PBS affiliate in Dallas/Fort Worth back in the late 80’s/early 90’s… It may have been Dvorak on Computers (?) I can’t recall. All I remember is being intrigued and a little confused, and everything went over my head (haha) but it did keep my love for tech lit. Anyway, I will definitely visit when I can travel further north. My big sis lives near LA, and I know you guys are a few hours north from there, near San Fran. Hope to see you guys someday soon! All the best…

BB

3 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread and starting the forum.

I’ve been admin on many forums for years. It takes time to learn the ins and outs of the settings. Over time, you’ll probably know how to make some tweaks that make things run more to your preference :slight_smile:

2 Likes

These forums are a great idea. I love relaxing at night reading about tech. Thanks for setting this up. I can see myself spending a lot of time here.

5 Likes

Hi everybody! I have been watching Leo and gang for at least ten years. I love the idea of this forum. @leo I’ve been using the surface go as my secondary computer for a few months and it’s pretty amazing! I’m looking forward to the new windows phone and hopefully an updated surface go in the spring.

4 Likes

Morning. Did TWIT LIVE on YouTube get taken down again?? I cannot find it anywhere today!! HELP!! :frowning:

1 Like

See this thread: https://www.twit.community/t/twit-is-down-watch-this-space-for-updates/1243?u=mistershipwreck

2 Likes

I had a thought about air quotes. Seems the developers thought people would lose their minds and quotations.

Hey Leo, you speak philosophy. We can translate a discussion to them.

Appreciate it! Hope CALI is OK and gets thru it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is no 100% save link. Even if a link was valid and clean when posted, there is nothing to stop the destination being hijacked or infected or even displaying malware adverts.
Given the community, most of the links will probably be safe, or at least not maliciously posted.
But at the end of the day, anything can happen. You have to use common sense and enough add-ons to protect you. I use Firefox + NoScript. It is a pain, but I think it is worth it. I also have a DNS server at home (PI-Hole running on a Rabi-Pi 3) with over 2.5 million blacklisted sites (mainly tracking and malware sites).

1 Like

Hey Leo, your the man, :slightly_frowning_face: Sorry to hear about the black out, that’s got to really suck, we were thinking about coming out to your neck of the woods within the year, but I think we will be reevaluating that thought, hope all is well and you get through it unscathed, best wishes, Scott

I was one of your very first caller on “Call For Help“ back in the day, your my Johnny Carson of Tech!
I love you man! God Speed!

Quick question?

When will the the IPad Pro have a back button?
How can anyone think the iPad will be a laptop replacement when you don’t even have a back button or real mouse controls.

SC

2 Likes

I’m enjoying the forums so far. Good conversations and polite conversation - even with the power-cut thread discussion, which is touchy and could easily have exploded.
I’ve been listening to TWiT for over a decade and the shows I listen to have fluctuated, but the 4 constants have been TWiT itself, TWiG, WW and SN. Although I’ve quit TWiG twice, because Jeff was driving me crazy with his rants over Europe, what he was ranting about was nowhere in the laws, but was based on Google FUD or his claims to know Germans better than Germans know themselves… Having lived in Germany for nearly 2 decades and now being a German citizen (dual citizenship, UK and Germany), much of what he was saying held little relation to my experiences.
I actually wrote to you about one of his rants, which got handled by your sister and she actually passed on the information to Jeff and we had a pleasant discussion about the inaccuracies.
Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

You’ve mentioned a few times on your shows that you use a fountain pen. What’s your pen, nib size, and ink of choice?

2 Likes

I’m also a big fan of the Twit community forums. Thank you Leo for this!.

5 Likes

So glad somebody asked @SWfan85!

I have intentionally limited myself to 10 pens - otherwise my obsession could spin out of control. I have a few favorites. My Hobonichi Techo (Japanese date book with Tomoegawa paper) has a 1974 Pilot Murex fine point attached. It’s using the fast drying Noodler’s Bernanke Black. A lovely combination for journaling. I have it with me on vacation.

When I want wetter ink I use my Pelikan Souveran with a medium nib. It’s currently loaded with Pelikan’s Edelstein ink in sapphire.

I have some other favorites, including a VF Wing Sung 601 demonstrator loaded with Diamine Oxblood, a Lamy 2000, and two Pilot Vanishing Points. I’m partial to piston fillers and fine points.

My wife has gifted me some lovely pens (including a gold tipped Cartier with which I signed the Brick House lease, a Schaefer, and a Parker Travel pen I also have with me). The entire collection is below stored in Goulet Pen’s lovely leather case. (Not shown, my Rotring 800 mechanical pencil - I have a thing for them, as well.)

I don’t have a picture of my ink collection, but when I get home I’ll take one.

I started collecting pens in high school. Mostly Parkers. I went through a self-hating dry spell of several decades in which I limited myself to the steel-nibbed disposable Pilot Varsity’s, which I would buy several cases at a time. (I seem to remember a stack of them, used, next to Neal Stephenson’s handwritten manuscript for Cryptonomicon at the Seattle Experience Music Project!)

Once I had the means, not so long ago, I collected all my grail pens in a short few months and now I am happy!

12 Likes

You’re such a nerd.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

I’m more into pencils, but get the urge. Had a young engineer working for me 20 years ago who aspired to be a screen writer. When he left our site, I bought him a Cross pen set, and told him he had to use it to write his first script. He really loved the gift and sentiment.

4 Likes

I’m very curious about Kyocera’s ceramic ball-point as a workhorse that hopefully also gives a lovely line and writing experience while exhibiting some serious longevity. I’m simply looking for a cut above Uni-Ball and Gelly Roll; certainly I don’t expect it would prove anywhere near the league of those currently in your collection, though, @Leo.

1 Like

@ant_pruitt, just wait. Leo will have you “penabled” before long. Resistance is futile.

2 Likes

@Leo, I don’t have the discipline to limit my pen collection yet, buy I do limit the number I have inked at one time. I rotate through them every week, depending on how much ink is left. This week’s everyday carry are (left to right): Pilot Metropolitan, Fine, with Pilot/Namiki Black cartridge; Parker IM, Fine, with Noodler’s Rome Burning; Kaweco Classic Sport, Extra-fine, with Diamine Eclipse; TWSBI Diamond 580, Extra-fine, with Papier Plume House of the Rising Sun. All in a Nock Brasstown case.

3 Likes

I have a Cross pen/stylus. I love it. My momz gave it to me for Christmas a couple years ago. I rarely use it

2 Likes