Google will start auto-deleting abortion clinic visits from user location history

Some of the places people visit — including medical facilities like counseling centers, domestic violence shelters, abortion clinics, fertility centers, addiction treatment facilities, weight loss clinics, cosmetic surgery clinics, and others — can be particularly personal. Today, we’re announcing that if our systems identify that someone has visited one of these places, we will delete these entries from Location History soon after they visit. This change will take effect in the coming weeks.

1 Like

I’m glad this is happening before legislation has to be passed to protect this information. Because those of us in the USA know that the lobbyist will pass exemptions for certain groups of people that are invading privacy to make money off us. I often transport people to Medical facilities that I never receive treatment at, but I feel like my location information could make it appear as though I am. Let’s say google sold all this information to my medical insurance, then my rates would sky rocket, or my insurance would want to drop me entirely based off my travel activity. Even though I’m going here during the course of my work duties. So I say protect this information at all cost.

1 Like

I’d argue that this doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t happen.