Google Location Wrong

On episode 1991 there was a caller who had a problem where Google Maps showed he was in Washington DC, but actually was in Florida. Hit that same problem today. Looking for Target Australia website, got Washington DC. After a lot of head scratching and testing, my grandson came up with the cause and solution. To save reading the rest of this, the problem was the Express VPN Chrome extension. Deleting the extension solved the problem. Didn’t even remember I had installed the extension.

Interesting troubleshooting this problem. When I went to Google Maps on Safari, everything was ok. When I changed my Google account on Chrome to another account I use for a solar project, everything was ok. But anytime I was in Chrome on my normal gmail account, I suddenly was in Washington DC. Doing an IP location search on Google identified the correct local IP address, and the provider was located in Australia.

Grandson found a reference online to someone else with the same problem, and they solved it by deleting the VPN extension. Not sure if it is unique to Express VPN extension.

One lesson learned is that Chrome extensions are related to the account used when installed, not to the Chrome app.

Someone else can figure out why Washington DC. Obviously, I did not even have the extension enabled as What is my IP came back with my actual IP address.

1 Like

Bravo to your grandson!!

It’s odd that the extension would affect your locale even when the VPN isn’t running. I’ll add that to my mental rolodex for future! Thanks!

Hey, am I being overly “boomerish”?

We installed 2 of the modern bidet toilet seats in our home. Today I got a notice it is time to replace the inline water filter, and, if I send a photo of me and my bidet with 100 words of how it has changed my life, I get the filter for free. Come on, a photo of a wrinlkly 73 year old man and his bidet (whether sitting on it or standing next to it) that can be posted on the internet???

It got a laugh if nothing else.

3 Likes

Well, just make sure you’re appealing to 90 year old bidet shoppers? Maybe show a little leg? :smiley:

2 Likes

My question is, who’s out there collecting toilet pics for their creepy ML image model :thinking: