Google Drive vs. Microsoft OneDrive

I found this article interesting.Do you guys have a preference between these two?

I use One Drive for the documents I create with the free, online version of MS Word when using my Chromebooks. Otherwise, I use Google Drive for everything else.

Conclusion of the article was: depends on which ecosystem you are using the most. I’m all in on Microsoft. I got grandfathered in on the 1TB of OneDrive storage. My iPhone photos get uploaded there. I have a bunch of OneNotes and Word and Excel docs that I can access from any device. I just think Office 365 rocks all the way around. None of the big companies are perfect in terms of security and privacy. I just think Microsoft sucks less.

2 Likes

I prefer OneDrive’s interface, and I’m tied in closer to Microsoft’s ecosystem so it’s OneDrive over G Drive for me. Although I’d never pay for either and wouldn’t store any sensitive info that I haven’t encrypted myself. Also for photo’s I’ve started using my own instance of Nextcloud rather than auto-uploading to OneDrive or G Photos. I’d imagine that’s where the majority of most people’s data usage comes from.

2 Likes

OneDrive’s sync used to be terrible. But it works really well these days.
Google Drive sync used to be very good, but lately it hasn’t been working very well.
Neither sync as well as Dropbox.

1 Like

The last time I used Dropbox with any earnest, they were still just a simple AWS S3 wrapper. Glad to hear they’ve improved since then.

1 Like

I’d never use Google for storing any information…

Personally, I’m looking into running my own NextCloud .

3 Likes

I have recently switched over to having the lion’s share of my data on OneDive. I use it to share files with my business manager as well. I really like it, because it doesn’t even make me notice it. It just syncs well and gets out of my way. I can’t even express how much I hate dropbox, and its constant problems. I use Google drive a little, emails photos and such, but I wouldn’t put my archive photos there or any of my work data. I really don’t have a reason for that. I also have a lot of data, including duplicate work files on iCloud.

1 Like

Being a Windows and Office 365 user, I use OneDrive. Sync in OneDrive works very well. Move a file, it doesn’t upload the whole file. And the placeholders work great for new files added elsewhere. Works nicely with the Files app in iOS too (didn’t used to).

3 Likes

Not in the article, but I’m forced to use Box for a segment of my business. It works pretty darn well too.

1 Like

I use google drive more but mainly because I stopped using Onedrive as much when they reduced the storage size, and anything I deleted just made the drive shrink.
My option was to either move on, or wipe it all and use it for something else.

I can’t give an opinion on the official clients as I never use them.
I use many web-based storage services so have them all in 1 multi-client, or just mounted as local drives.
Mounted as drives they just behave like any normal storage so all software works without needing to be web-capable in any way.

My concerns with synchronising relate to syncing drives with each-other, rather than my local stuff.

1 Like

I use them all in various contexts. Google Drive seems to be the repository of choice for certain groups to share documents and such, while I keep OneDrive for personal stuff and family sharing, since we have an Office 365 Home account. And then I use Dropbox for some other purposes, particularly because Scrivener for iOS integrates natively with Dropbox to sync projects. I also use OneDrive at the office, and I’m about to mandate it for the company after one of our users lost a bunch of data to a hardware repair and misplaced BitLocker key.

2 Likes

While it does require self hosting, Nextcloud is my favourite by far. I have tons of space and I have Collabora online web editing for simpler documents when needed. The syncing has been perfect for over two years now, as well.

I even use mine too check my email with Rainloop and manage my contacts and calenders.

2 Likes

Neither - although I’ve tried both. I’m still quite happy with Dropbox and use it across my office (windows), home (linux) and smartphone (android.) Plus I’ve really gotten into using dropbox paper for managing my life and projects.

1 Like

I’m a Gsuite user for my personal domain. So I use Google Drive. I’m also a super big fan of Google Photo’s and I’m a follower and shared philosopher of @MikeElgan’s nicebook.

1 Like

Steve Gibson recommended Sync.com and I found it to be awesome and your content is encrypted. I do have both OneDrive and Google Drive. I have 1 TB through MS Office 365 and 100 GB included of Google Drive because I have the unlimited plan with Google Fi. However, I do not trust my files to anything other than Sync.com.

1 Like

I got 100GB for free on Goodgle Drive because of my 1st Chromebook purchase. But, I think that expires after 12 or 24 months. But, I still haven’t really used enough in that first 15GB everyone gets for free.

What sucks is that while I have 3 Chrome devices, I didn’t get 100GBx3. You only get it 1 time.

1 Like

I started with Dropbox and got free storage adds by referring others. Then I started using Google Photos w/o compression and had to buy more Google Drive storage for that. Tried Amazon Drive to offload some of my Dropbox storage but wasn’t happy with either the interface or no free storage of videos. I’ll probably stick with both Dropbox (I like the File Explorer interface and ease of use on my Pixel 2 XL smartphone) and also with Google Drive. With the Pixel 2 sometime Dropbox is better for a particular function, other times Google Drive is better.

2 Likes

I use OneDrive, because of the 1TB of storage that comes with my Office 365 subscription.

3 Likes