Getting ready to cut the cable cord

So my wife and I are ready to cut the cord. I am looking for some big picture step by step. We have xfinity by Comcast voice-tv-internet bundle now, and we just want to pay them for over 200 Mbps. Looking to purchase our own cable modem to save that fee. We have an eero mesh system router. Leaning toward Hulu +TV for locals and other channels. Using Apple TV 4K for streaming, Xbox one for gaming. Thanks for this helpful community.

2 Likes

Sounds like you have it thought out. You can can try a free trial of Hulu on the AppleTV and see how well it works for you.
For your cable modem, see what models Comcast supports since they will have to flash it with their firmware to work properly on their network. They can do the flash over the phone with you, they will need the MAC address from the modem.

2 Likes

Yeah, looking at the Netgear CM 1100. Have you heard good things?

The big picture is that cord cutting doesn’t necessarily mean cost savings for the same services, if that is the goal. I was paying Comcast $100/month for internet and TV. Now I pay Comcast $50/mo for internet and YouTube $50/mo for TV.

One benefit of streaming services is that there is no long term contract as there is with most cable services - you can jump from one service to the other month by month if desired.

3 Likes

I would look at one of the Arris Surfboard modems. The Docsis 3.1 is most expensive, but is also the most future proof (Docsis 3.1 isn’t well deployed yet I don’t think, but no doubt providers will eventually be considering upgrades in the future. Also if you ever move, you own it, so you want one that will work with a potential new provider.) Amazon has the SB8200 that says “3.1 Gigabit Speed Cable Modem, Approved for Cox, Spectrum and Xfinity.”

1 Like

If you really want to cut the cord, look at getting an antenna, HDHomeRun, and Channels app.

1 Like