Earthlink.net/earthlink.com

Last year I bought a new Dell laptop and know I was hacked. A contact I use both email and Apple message in my contacts. I use gmail but also have several other email accountsThe person uses earthlink. Also about the same time they lost their job because her employer cut backs. They used their work email for personal mail. Have been havinf issues with their email. This personal email was at earthlink.net Today noticed their email changed in my contacts to “earthlink.com” not earthlink.net… Their email address changed in my microsoft contacts. Not sure how to check when the email was changed in my microsoft contacts. Now when I email this person default is earthlink.com. When received reply today My gmail had a large yellow box saying I have never received an email from that address. When checked the address in was (@earthlink.net) How can I reset this person’s contact info? Google trys to default to the last email for a contact. When entering any contact Google will try to use the info from previous similar entries. Thanks

By what magic is the contact info automatically updating, and in multiple places? I presume the contact themselves has done something to update their contact info and the updated info has synced to you by some automation on the platform. (Google could be “helping” you.)

It should work either way (note the same selection of servers, they just randomize the order every time you ask for load balancing):

nslookup
> set type=mx

> earthlink.com

Non-authoritative answer:
earthlink.com   MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx04.oxsus-vadesecure.net
earthlink.com   MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx01.oxsus-vadesecure.net
earthlink.com   MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx02.oxsus-vadesecure.net
earthlink.com   MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx03.oxsus-vadesecure.net

> earthlink.net

Non-authoritative answer:
earthlink.net   MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx03.oxsus-vadesecure.net
earthlink.net   MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx04.oxsus-vadesecure.net
earthlink.net   MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx01.oxsus-vadesecure.net
earthlink.net   MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = mx02.oxsus-vadesecure.net

Have my contacts sync between Microsoft, Apple and Gmail. Any sync happens in my accounts

The way I found the date of the email change was in my Google contacts. View the contact history when you open contact. Clicked each date in history. This history showed the email ...@earthlink.com first in July. This is the time I started having problems with my laptop. The .com address goes to the person OK. Their response shows a .net email.